1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 problems and help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by occam182, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. occam182

occam182 Thread Starter

I have a AMD k62 500mghz comp. looking to upgrade to XP. can i do this on this comp or should i forget about diapers and baby formula for awhile to buy a new comp? also what is mfc42.dll? every time i restart my comp is missing this file.

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Here is a MKBA pertaining to your error message.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813181

Why not keep your older/little computer for a back-up and get a new one to play with would be my advice for your first question.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

At best you are going to have very poor performance with XP on a 500 MHz processor. Unless you have some actual need to change to XP, you should probably stick with where you are.

And should you decide you really want XP on this computer, I would not recommend doing an in place upgrade. Clean installs are generally far more reliable and stable.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Occam182:

The processor type and speed is too slow(a Pentium-class processor with a minimum speed of 700 - 800 MHz is needed). That computer probably doesn't have enough RAM anyway for Windows XP(which should have a minimum of 256 MB).

If you really want Windows XP, you'd probably be better off with investing $600 - $800 in a low-end unit.

Some MFC42.DLL error messages are a result of having Xupiter or some other nasty spyware in your computer. Do you make regular use of Ad-aware SE Personal 1.05 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3? If you don't, you need to.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

occam182,

Hopefully yet another post saying your processor is too slow will be enough for you.

6. occam182

occam182 Thread Starter

Ok, so if I was to spend 600-800 on an entry level new comp, which direction should i go? i built this one myself from one of those places that sell the parts individually. You know, $30 bucks for the housing, 100 bucks for the motherboard and processor combo, 40 bucks for the 256MB ram...etc.etc...etc...or is it better to buy Gateway, Dell, or evil Bestbuy emachines? I think I will have to do the upgrade anyway because Command and Conquer-Generals won't run on machine, plus I can't download MP3's from pay sites. Thanks for the info.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The DELL Dimension 4700 desktop gives you a lot of bang for the buck. So do the E-Machine T-models. HP and GATEWAY will likely cost you more for a low-end desktop. I can't really tell you which brand and model to buy because I don't know what you require out of a computer. Just shop around and talk to some knowledgeable people.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice