1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98, RAM and GeForceFX 5600

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AlMujtahid, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

I have been having issues with Win98 and installing my PNY GeForceFX 5600 Graphics card. I finally have the card up and runing and the driver installed and working after speaking with PNY tech support. This is what they made me do. Yes they forced me.

In system.ini I changed, or actually added the following to vcache

[VCache]
    a. MinFileCache=51200
    b. MaxFileCache=81920

Actually the instruction were to remove one of my 512MB chips restart and make the change. Then add the other 512MB chip back in and I should be in business. That didnt work. WhenI called again the rep told me to go to msconfig and change the Limit memory to ... value to 512. When I did this I was able to install the driver and retsrat and windows finally booted upand I was able to adjust screen settings and such. ie it worked. However now I kept getting this memory is too low. Norton AntiVirus may not run properly and when I tried to isntall Office 2000, installation would not complete because I get an errore message stating that Win32 app...Not enough memory. SHBut one or more porgrams down. But I have nothing running. Now I cannot even unisntall Office 2000.

One other thing, at one point when I booted windows I recived this message: file missing Windows\System\...DLL. I cannot find where I put it. It was something NV.. Anyway, now I do not get that error anymore. HSould I not worry about that.

If anyone has any clue, I would greatly appreciate any help. Also, now I wen back into msconfig and rest the limit memory to... and unchecked it so there is no limit. The PC is running fine. Just that Win32 no memory error. I do not get the insufficient memory for Norton anymore.

2. brianF

brianF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice