1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 reformat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JKram, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JKram

JKram Thread Starter

Did some research, but did not find anything of help.

Trying to reformat friends computer, have created the boot disk and it works.

Instructions say to go to "start" "shutdown" and "restart in msdos mode" i have tried that and all that happens is my screen flickers once. I then have no "clickability" on the start button any longer.

After restarting, i went to msdos mode by going through the "start" menu to MSDOS mode and the window comes up.. i type the necessary information for reformating and I am told that "C" drive is in use by another application! GRRRR

I have tried to install WIN98 over top of itself and it locks up when its "checking my system"

OH WHAT to do... ???

I just wanna WIPE it clean.. boot up and reinstall WIN98!!!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, You need to boot from the bootdisk to native DOS.
    First, make sure you can see the CD drive from the bootdisk- put it in drive A: and restart. If you land at A:\
    and you saw the letter given for your CD drive as perhaps D: or E:, type that letter next to the A:\
    if you cant get there- try typing cd D: or E: and hit the Enter key after any command to run it. Like this:
    A:\cd D:

Put the Windows CD into your CD drive.....and do this:
    D: or E:\dir
    and hit Enter, do you see a long list of files flash by?? This means you can "see" the CD and you should be able to install from the CD drive. There are other options.

Hope you know what reinstalling involves...replacing drivers for lots of things...did you place files you need onto some other media like a CD or floppy disks?
    Do you have the Windows product Key ready to type in?
    Got a good idea of the hardware you need to make sure is reinstalled by Windows?
    After you have considered the above, and posted back that you A: are experienced and do want to format the hard drive
    or, B: might like to find out more, and be sent some links to good reinstalling windows pages
    will consider going further. Thanks, and get back to us!

3. JKram

JKram Thread Starter

I choose option B:

I do think I know to a degree what I am doing though.. more than an amature.. maybe NOVICE level..

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) download all drivers you need and burn them to cd. (or at least have your modem drivers on floppy/cd so you can download the rest.

2) boot from floppy or cd.

3) go to a:\ prompt and type "format C:" without the quotes.

4) go smoke/watch tv/whatever and come back in 20 min or so depending on the speed of your system.

5) boot from cd and follow prompts to reinstall windows.

6) install drivers ONE AT A TIME

5. JKram

JKram Thread Starter

Thanks, working the issue now.. (handshake)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice