1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98 resolution problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joboy, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joboy

joboy Thread Starter

hey,

my computer crashed a few days ago and I had to reinstall win98.
    Everything went fine, but I can't change the screenresolution.
    I tried everything (I think): I re-installed the motherboard drivers,
    I even searched for the monitor driver on the website of the supplier.
    The monitor is 7 VLr from AOC. It's an old monitor but i don't think this affects the ability to change the resolution?
    We can move the slide-bar of the screenresolution (in properties of display) but then the computer has to reboot. I know this shouldn't happen and I activated the option that says the computer doesn't have to reboot but he still does !!!
    It's really driving me crazy.
    I hope I explained the problem clearly,
    if there is anything you need to know i'm happy to answer.

Greetz, Joboy

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to ascertain what type of display adapter is in that computer, then you need to download and install the drivers for it - preferably any updated ones. Until you do that, that computer will run in VGA mode and will stay with a 640 X 480 resolution and 16 color.

3. joboy

joboy Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip but how do I ascertain what type of display adapter is in my computer? I know there is a '8Mb AGP 3D card' in my pc and when i go to
    'Display'->'Adaptor' it says: Standard PCI graphic adaptor (VGA).

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's saying that because of what it's running off of.

If you prefer not to open the case and see what brand name and model name of display adapter is installed, do the following:

Download and install Belarc Advisor 6.1F and Everest Home Edition 1.51.195. Once you install these free utilities and run them, they will scan your computer and display a list of its hardware and software. You can download both of them at http://www.majorgeeks.com.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice