1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 SE Install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AnyKey, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

Happy Holidays everyone! If someone can help me, things will be happier for me too. I've been reading posts for hours, trying everything to solve my problem. Got rid of the vxd errors, but Win 98 hangs after loading everything and just sits there. I can get into safe mode to do things and believe me I've tried. Step by step looks like it's loading but then just stops at the end and no Windows. I don't have the original CD because I wasn't savvy enough 3 years ago to ask for it when I had the computer built. I have a start up disk that I made. This is a Pentium 233 with 256k and I haven't had this problem before. It's my workhorse computer. I do have a Windows SE full version that we never used at work. My questions are: should I try to install this over the existing OS using a switch at the dos prompt: setup.exe /NTLDR, or should I try to install it into a separate directory and try to salvage what I can? Would this be like a dual boot and give me the option of choosing the OS at startup like it does in NT 4.0? I've defragged, scandisk (never made it through that), scanreg/restore, done selective booting, unchecked uneeded startup items with msconfig, got rid of Zone Alarm (including the registry key), ran sfc. I still have most of my hair but you all know how crazy these things make you. Also, it's not a virus, haven't had this particular machine online in a good while and checked it right before I took it offline. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for your help.

2. brianF

brianF

Did you try reinstalling your video drivers while in safe mode.

You can't dual boot win98 and win98se

If you install it as an upgrade it shouldn't lose any of your data

3. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply. I will give the drivers a try.

4. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I reinstalled the video driver and restarted. It got to the point where it said: Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows, and hung. Back to the drawing board. But thanks.
    V

5. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk

hi

I had that vxd problem right after i got rid of zonealarm. I think that's it w/ you cuz you got rid of it. anyway, i reinstalled it and my problem was gone.

i know this doesnt help but it's a start somewhere.:) :) :)

6. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

I seem to have gotten rid of the vxd errors, only had 2. I just don't understand why I can only boot into safe mode. Worse, I have the feeling that I've missed something or read about a solution to this problem somewhere. If I find it, and fix it, I'll post it. Thanks!

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'd backup any important data that I couldn't afford to lose and then try doing a thorough scandisk from a DOS prompt. It's going to take a good while so just let it sit.

scandisk /surface /all

8. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

Thanks Bryan! Scanning now.

9. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

The scan says everything is ok. Now I'm really puzzled.

10. AnyKey

AnyKey Thread Starter

Got it back! I followed the troubleshooting Booting into Safe Mode on the Microsoft KB...troubleshooting protected mode drivers. Typed in msconfig, clicked on advanced on the General Tab, checked off boxes one by one till it worked. The one that did it was "Force compatibility mode disk access."
    Now I need to find out why that worked, but in the meantime I can take care of things. What a relief. Thanks for all the help I always get here. You can close this thread!:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice