1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 Shortcut keys.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nocontact, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I've set keyboard shortcuts for some of the frequently used programs that I used but they're acting a little funny.
    Initially they were working great but for some reason now, when a program, say Winamp, is open but minimized to the taskbar and I hit the key shortcut it wont appear on the desktop. That's happened now to a lot of these programs and I don't know why.
    I was wondering if anyone knows what may have changed or why and what I can do to fix this.
    Thanks.

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

First: I would do a reboot if you haven't recently to see if this corrects the problem.

Second: If that doesn't work I would repair IE, that seems to cure a lot of annoyances.

Good Luck

jm100dm

3. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Do shortcuts have anything to do with IE? Wouldn't it be a Win98 problem?

4. jm100dm

jm100dm

Anytime that my icons are a problem I use IE repair and it does the trick. IE and Explorer work hand in hand. Give it a try, what can you lose. Let us know either way.

Jm100dm

5. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Is IE repair going to change any settings that I should back-up?

6. jm100dm

jm100dm

Nocontact,

Sorry that it took so long to respond. Have been very busy at work and not checking e-mail and here.

In response to your question.
    None that I'm aware of. I have used it many times without a problem. I max out my computer by running so many progams at once and sometimes they don't all get along together and my Icons get messed up or something just doesn't seem right. Running IE repair usually corrects this.

Getting back to your original post. There are a few routes that you could take.

If there are just a few shortcuts that don't work you could remove them and go to the progam, create a shortcut to your desktop and then put it where you want it. If you have moved the programs or had shortcuts pointing to shortcuts that you have since deleted that may be what caused the problem.

Have you made sure that your antivirus program is up to date?

Have you removed spyware that may be causing problems?

Are you still having problems?

Please get back when you can.

jm100dm

7. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I tried IE repair, but for some reason the shortcut keys are still acting a little strange.
    I just ran ad-aware and found a couple of things but I'm not sure if they were on there before or after things started running funny. I still can't get my shortcut key for the calculator to work, it puts it on the taskbar but doesn't maximize.
    I'll let you know if removing this spyware helps out.
    Thanks.

8. jm100dm

jm100dm

Nocontact,

Adaware has not been updated for several months so to be sure that you find all the spyware follow the suggestion posted below by Steamwiz in another thread.

Also is your antivirus up to date?

Keep us posted, Thanks.

jm100dm

"Please Download and install SpyBot,

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/spybot11r3.exe

click the online tab to search for and download the updates, then shut down and relaunch SpyBot.

Go to the Settings tab > File Sets, and uncheck 'System Internals' and 'Tracks' .
    These aren't needed for our present purpose, and you can always experiment with them later on.

Finally, after closing down Internet Explorer, click 'Check for problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds 'Fix selected problems' ."

9. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

2 questions: I've had Spybot for a while and just updated it.
    When you say "then shut down and relaunch SpyBot" do you mean my PC or just the program?
    Also, when you write "Finally, after closing down Internet Explorer, click 'Check for problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds 'Fix selected problems'" how do I check for problems?
    I'm not sure how to do this.
    Thanks.

10. jm100dm

jm100dm

Just the program.

Then close all your browser windows that you have open.

At the bottom of the program it says check all. Click it. Takes just a few minutes. Also on the bottom it says fix selected items after spybot is done checking your computer it will become available. Click it. That is all. Hope this helps.

jm100dm

11. jm100dm

jm100dm

Have you ran your antivirus or do you have one? If not you can run a free one while online. Also if you don't have an antivirus program you can get that free on the net too. Firewall? System specs?

The more info that you give the better someone can help.

jm100dm

12. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

You're right, I should add it to my signature.
    P4 1.7, 256 DDR, Win98SE

Yes to the Anti-virus, ran it, it's clean.
    No firewall just yet.
    I'll try what you suggested.
    Thanks again.

13. bluelobster

bluelobster

The link for spybot isn't working.

14. dub

dub

This is off the subject so I'll apologize first.
    I just found this site and was reading some of the posts. I have had a problem with explorer not showing the folders in the left pane and was almost to the point of wiping the disk and reinstalling winme. I saw this post about IE repair and tried it, I didn't even know this existed. Bingo. Explorer is back to normal.
    So again, thanks to all of you.

dub

15. jm100dm

jm100dm

dub

Welcome to Tech Support Guy.

I'm happy to see that you were able to fix your problem. You can learn a lot on these boards. Stop back if you have any further questions or problems.

jm100dm

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice