1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 sruck in DOS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rhettman5, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

Hi, a friends wife found a icon in Start/Programs/Accesories/Games called msGames. Curiosity got the best of her and she clicked it.

It went to a dos prompt and will not leave, short of restarting in safe mode, it boots to dos.

I had her type in win and windows, no joy.

I had her go into safemode, lots of doubled up things in device manager, had her remove them, still does it.

I had her run scanreg /restore, no luck.

It did sucessfully install a previous registry, but still boots to dos.

Anyone have any ideas ? ... Rhett

2. brianF

brianF

3. john1

john1

Hi rhettman5,

What else have you tried?

John.

Excuse me brian, ive just seen your post,
    wots q or quit?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Reboot and bring up the start menu. Choose Step by Step Configuration. When prompted, do not load config.sys or autoexec.bat
    If you get into Windows, open those files and copy and paste the contents into a post here.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

:) Tried the q and quit command, didn't work, Thank God, or I would have felt pretty stupid, sure is hard to tell ppl over the phone what to do, much easier when you are looking at the problem !

Anyway, read the MS article and had her try the fix they list, she got a bad command error, but, as I am not there, hard to know if she typed it in as I told her, next ???

She is considering a restore , but she uses the computer for school, so hate to go that far...Rhett

6. john1

john1

Hi rhettman5,

You could ask her to see if it has cabs.
    Usually in Options\windows.

As some things have been removed from
    device manager, that might be the best bet.

John.

7. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

John, are you telling me to reinstall windows under cabs, I have done this before with good results, but, can this be done from safe mode ??...Rhett,.. My origonal post was wrong, instead of msgames, it said msdosgames

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Have her do the step by step and not load config,sys and autoexec.bat
    Or have her go ionto Safe Mode and use msconfig to disable them. There may be a line in Config.sys
    DOS=Single
    I am not sure. Have her try it and see.

9. john1

john1

Hi rhettman5,

for some reason i assumed she had no disk.
    safe mode would be the easiest way to find
    out if it has cabs on it.
    If no other way is offered, then that is a
    possibility but thru dos. Ive not tried it
    in safe mode either.

John.

Mosaic, this is thru the phone, to someone
    else, it might be best to keep it simple.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

John,
    Excuse me? I think fixing the problem would be simpler than having her reload Windows.

I have over 10,000 Posts in various Tech Forums on the Internet.

Opening in Safe Mode>>Msconfig> removing the check from Process Config.sys and Process autoexec.bat is standard procedure when Windows wont start.

I'm looking for this line in config.sys
    DOS=Single

and I'm not sure what may be called in Autoexec.bat

Or any number of other possibilities.

11. john1

john1

Mosaic, i hope it is straightforward, some people just
    dont seem to get along with dos.

Rhett, anything happening?
    fifty curious eyes are looking in!

John

12. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

ok, I had her do the command prompt, remember this is all happening via internet and then using phone to relay, amazing this has happened so fast, anyway, she is now in windows, normally, I can't post the contents of the files as I am not physically there, however, I wiil have her print the contents and try to post as soon as possible.

I told her to write down the info I gave her for command prompt and to attempt to reboot, she said that windows picked up all deleted in device manager. I am about to call her back to see where we stand,if she is internet capable I will have her E-Mail the contents of the files , and I want to thank you all for jumping on this so fast, we are getting close...Rhett

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What did you have her do? You said you had her execute a command at the prompt. (She can easily start Windows without config.sys or autoexec.bat unless something in particular is loading.) They are not necessary to run Win9x. But if they were the problem it will be good to know.
    I take it she doesn't have an Internet Connection? If she does, copying and pasting them into a post here or an email to you would do it. You said she is back in Windows again. Great.

14. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

himen : rem-by windows setup- for first boot-device =C:/windows/emm386.exe RAM

DOS = HI, UMV

Device High=C:/Windows/command/vide-cdd.sys \d:ibmcd001

This is what is in Config.sys, all are checked. will see about autoexec . bat in a few, she is having a hard time not touching things, I have told her to do NOTHING till she hears back from "us" :) ....Rhett ..once again, all by phone, hope the lines are correct

15. rhettman5

rhettman5 Thread Starter

I was looking through my System config and noticed nothing was checked in config.sys or in Autoexec.bat on my system, she unchecked hers and restarted, bingo, booted right up to 98, is there anything in there she needs ?
    If not, problem solved, I have never messed with mine, so seems odd nothing is checked...Rhett

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice