1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 Start Up Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by depawl, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

After recently upgrading to an FIC MB and AMD k62/550, my computer now hangs on the Win 98 start up screen for what seems like forever (it's probably only a minute or so, but it's about 5 times longer than before I upgraded). It eventually gets beyond this and runs normally.
    Any ideas what's going on?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

By startup screen do you mean the logo screen? Try pressing esc to see what is going on beneath it. Do you have an antivirus scan running from autoexec.bat? If you bypass autoexec.bat by using msconfig, does it load any faster?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

If you do a "logged boot", then run bootlog analyzer and check the "show delays" box, it will show where any delays are occuring (other than "startup" programs):

http://www.vision4.dial.pipex.com/

To do a logged boot you must access the boot menu (ctrl key on startup>boot menu>logged boot)

You save a copy of the text file that shows the delays and post it here.

Does the motherboard use a VIA or ALI chipset -- and have you installed the drivers for it if it does.

3. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Here's the result of the Boot Log Text file. Looks like a couple problem areas.
    Thanks.
    BTW, this is a VIA chipset and I've installed the drivers.

Attached Files:

4. brianF

brianF

Just posting the contents of the file for easier viewing

21:16:40 2.17 LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    21:16:42 0.83 Loading Vxd = VMM
    21:16:43 0.00 LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd
    21:16:43 1.00 LoadSuccess = COMBUFF
    21:16:50 0.00 DEVICEINITFAILED = MTRR
    21:16:50 0.44 DEVICEINITSUCCESS = VTD
    21:16:52 0.33 Dynamic load success s3.vxd
    21:16:53 0.33 Dynamic load success mmdevldr.vxd
    21:16:54 0.28 DEVICEINIT = IOS
    21:16:56 0.94 DEVICEINITSUCCESS = VMOUSE
    21:16:57 0.33 DEVICEINIT = NDIS
    21:16:59 24.33 Dynamic load success vnbt.386
    21:17:24 0.28 Initing hsflop.pdr
    21:17:25 1.50 Initing esdi_506.pdr
    21:17:26 1.50 Initing esdi_506.pdr
    21:17:28 0.33 Init Success esdi_506.pdr
    21:17:28 39.94 INITCOMPLETE = CONFIGMG
    21:18:08 0.50 INITCOMPLETESUCCESS = CONFIGMG
    21:18:09 0.00 INITCOMPLETEFAILED = SDVXD
    21:18:10 0.28 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\serial.vxd
    21:18:11 0.50 Dynamic init success WINMODEM
    21:18:11 0.33 Dynamic load success Bt848.vxd

From Microsoft, wondering about the MTRR one, anyone know

InitCompleteFailed = SDVXD
    Windows automatically loads a miniature disk cache to increase the speed of the startup process. When the startup process is complete, the miniature disk cache is unloaded from memory. When the cache is unloaded, the "InitCompleteFailed = SDVXD" line is added to the Bootlog.txt file to indicate that the miniature disk cache has been removed from memory. This behavior is typical.

DeviceInitFailed = MTRR
    Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR) is a .vxd file that is responsible for manipulating memory ranges. This file is loaded with DirectX 5.0; however, none of the DirectX core components use the service that is provided by MTRR. The Ntkern file and some video adapter drivers do use the service that is provided by MTRR to change memory ranges.

LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd
    If the network driver interface specification (NDIS) 2 support driver does not find any NDIS 2 drivers to support, the driver is not loaded.

5. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

To me it looked like the
    dynamic load success vnbt.386 (24.33 sec) and
    INITCOMPLETE = CONFIGMG (39.94 SEC)
    were the problems.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The vnbt.386 file is a part of a Netbios protocol. Are you networking and using NetBios as a protocol?

configmg.vxd.....

Hmm, why so long for that? Have you installed the so-called "VXD Fix"? That, I believe, would cause this file to be looked for and loaded differently than it would be otherwise. Normally it is a part of a monolithic (compressed) vmm32.vxd which Windows unpacks each startup. The "fix" takes a number of these files and places them in the vmm32 folder so they don't have to be unpacked each time. But this may actually add some to startup time.

7. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

As far as I know I'm not using netBios, I'm not sure how to tell. Also I haven't applied the vxd fix. This is a clean install of Win 98 just 2 days ago.
    Thanks.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have a look in the Control Panel's Network applet. If you are not networking all you need is a Dialup adapter, tcp/ip and Windows Logon. You could remove Client for Microsoft Networks and everything else. This might speed things up a little.

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest other than to try another clean install and see if it works out any better.

9. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. Actually I do have a network card, I recently signed up for cable internet service. I found that disabling the nic resulted in a somewhat more "normal" start up time. I guess maybe this is the nature of the beast? I know that all of the computers where I work are networked and have a very long start up time. Since I'm now surfing about 10x faster than before, I guess I can live with it.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know if there are any tricks to speed that up. Perhaps someone here with cable access might have a tip, so we'll leave the question open.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice