**Win 98 Startup Errors**

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ThePhenom

Thank you so much for everyone's consideration of my troubles. Here it is.

Everytime I boot up my computer(gateway Desktop) it goes to a black page saying "Windows has detected a registry/configuration error...select command prompt only and run SCANREG." I click on Command Prompt Only and it begins to list 4 files that are missing or in error. (windows\Himem.sys,windows\Emm386.exe,windows\DBLBuff.sys, windows\IFSHLP.sys)

I read on the microsoft page about running some scanreg prompts like \fix,\restore...but everytime I enter anything into the C:\> prompt I get the message "Sector not found reading drive C." So I can't get past the prompt page at all. Please Help, I really appreciate it! I ultimately want to erase everything and try to start over w/ the computer so don't be afraid to suggest solutions that might erase the memory.

If I need to list more info to help everyone solve my problem please let me know.

Hi and welcome :)

You don't say which O/S - assume from your post it is Win98 or 98se.

Just to confirm - have you switched on - constantly tapped f8 - at the Startup Options you have selected ..... with Command Prompt.

At the prompt you have tried scanreg /fix ( note the space after scanreg )

and you have tried scanreg /restore (again note the space)

ThePhenom

Yes I'm using Win 98 version not the SE

I hit F8 on startup and it brought me to the Startup Menu options. I clicked command prompt only and it listed the files that are in error and then wouldn't let me run the Scanreg /fix or /restore because the Sector couldn't be found error message appeared.

I tryed running through the Step by step confirmation process. I didn't know what to say yes to or what to say N to but at the end I got the same Sector couldn't be found error message. ???? Any ideas????

I can only suggest that you try an "over the top" install which will reinstall Windows again but allow you to keep data that you have on the hard drive.

You need a win98 boot disk. If you have not got one download one from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Make a note of the filename and where you are saving it to.

Put a clean floppy in the drive - find the downloaded file - click on it and it will self extract to the floppy drive to create your boot disk. ( you will need this if you are going to format and reinstall).

Put the 98 floppy boot disk in the pc and turn it on, the boot files and cdrom drivers will load, this is presuming you have the floppy drive (A) as first boot device.

When you get to the screen saying "Start Computer with cdrom support" press yes.
It should then turn to an A prompt like so;
A:\

Insert the 98cd in the drive.
If the cdrom is D type it like so;
A:\D

The curser will change to look like so;
D:\

If the cdrom is E just type E

Next type setup like so;
D:\setup

The installation should now begin and you will be prompted for your 25 digit product code.

This proceedure doens't solve all problems but it is worth a try.

Yes - if you have it.

You will probably need your 25 Character Product Key.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online