1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 98 startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hankvw, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hankvw

hankvw Thread Starter

Customer has a Win 98 box that when booted starts W98, clears the screen and shows the back ground and then very VERY briefly shows a program box in the lower left corner of the screen and then disappears. the background stays there, the mouse responds but the system just sits there. When I hit Ctl/alt/delete there are NO processes running. I have re-run windows setup and then then system wil come up fr the first time. I disable all startup programs using MSCONFIG and reboot and it does it again !! I re-start in safe mode and it does the same thing!!
    I deleted the registry files system.dat and user.dat and renamed win.ini and system.ini and re-installed, and again it came up the first time and then after disabling all startup programs again and rebooting, it did it again !!

Ideas??

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Hankvw, and welcome to TSG.. :)

I have to ask, why are you disabling everything in startup?

See the attached images in this and the next post. Make sure not to disable them in startup. (Notice that the "Load Power Profile" entry is meant to be there twice.

Cheers

Liam

Attached Files:

3. e-liam

e-liam

Second screenshot... too lazy to merge them... :)

Is there a particular reason for wanting to stop these processes? If so if you could explain it, we'll see what we can do to help.

Cheers

Liam

Attached Files:

4. hankvw

hankvw Thread Starter

Liam and all I disabled them because I THOUGHT they might be causing the hang - was/is getting desperate !!
    SO I disabled everything just to see if I could get it to re-boot

5. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Hank,

Could you please run setup again, (if that is all you can do to get it to run initially) and download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip (If it's easier, do this on another computer, and save to disc, then put it on the otehr computer).

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Also, if you could give a little background on when it started happening and if you've installed or deleted anything recently. Not essential, but it would give us something to go on.

It should give us a clue as to what is causing the hang. Don't get desperate, that's our job... :)

Cheers

Liam

6. hankvw

hankvw Thread Starter

ok attached is the output you asked for !

Attached Files:

7. hankvw

hankvw Thread Starter

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! found the poblem!!!!!!
    user had a Bogus explorer.exe in the c:\ directory !! got downloaded somewhere - not sure where but when I deleted that one the system came up fine !!

Thanks for all the input !!:)

8. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Hank,

O1 - Hosts: 66.250.171.136 auto.search.msn.com

This means that you you need to go here and download, then run CoolWebShredder.

This entry will automatically take you to Mart Finder, part of a pretty nasty hijacker CoolWebSearch.

Run that, and you should be fine.

Cheers

Liam

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!