1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 Unable to browse the network No password used at logon

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ImMichle, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImMichle

ImMichle Thread Starter

Hello,
    I got a computer for my kids room from a relative running Win 98 ..... I went in to reg edit and changed the admin/registered name to mine instead of the original owner to ttry to rid the admin password problem.... but ....

I have a home network with 3 computers now. 2 are XP and are networked just fine. I have my Win 98 comp Network Neighborhood set to Primary Network Logon as "Windows Logon" ....

I have edited my regedit to say "AutoLogon 00 00 00 00 " and now there is no password prompt like I wanted YEA (y) ! So now I am able to get online from that computer and I can see the files and computer from my XP computers, but on the 98 comp when I click my Network Neighborhood icon it says entire network, but does not list the other 2 computers so I can see the files. it says "unable to browse the network".

What have I done :confused: ? I want to be able to use the computer in the kids room and share and see the files on the other 2 computers. I have clicked share everything annd it was on the network sharinng everything before I started messing in the regedit screens .....

I have also installed tweaku and told it to log on as a name with no password,but it still logs on as no user.

Do I have to log on as a user to share files?

Please help as I am pulling my hair out trying to make this work. I am sure it is a simple fix .... :(
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Michelle

2. dr20

dr20

3. ImMichle

ImMichle Thread Starter

Neither of those solutions work. I deleted the auto logon in regedit, I have tried both windows logon and it still asks for a password and never goes away. When I edited the registry and put all zeros for auto logon, then it did not ask for a password, but there was no user logged on and the network neighborhood did not work. When I change it to client fot MS Networks, it asks for a network password at start up. If I click cancel it does not log into the network.
    What am I doing wrong? I have had computers running 98 home networked before and never had to logon and I was able to use and browse the network.
    Tweak UI works now, but I should be able to make the computer boot to the administrater user and log on to the network WITHOUT a password prompt. I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE !!! So what is different now?

4. ImMichle

ImMichle Thread Starter

Neither of those solutions work. I deleted the auto logon in regedit, I have tried both windows logon and and MS network and it still asks for a password and never goes away. When I edited the registry and put all zeros for auto logon, then it did not ask for a password, but there was no user logged on and the network neighborhood did not work. When I change it to client fot MS Networks, it asks for a network password at start up. If I click cancel it does not log into the network.
    What am I doing wrong? I have had computers running 98 home networked before and never had to logon and I was able to use and browse the network.
    Tweak UI works now, but I should be able to make the computer boot to the administrater user and log on to the network WITHOUT a password prompt. I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE !!! So what is different now?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I think you are going to need Client for Microsoft Networks a the primary and log in with a name and password.

If you can't remember your password, then either:

1. Log in with another name and password.
    2. Press Cancel, delete the *.pwl files in the \windows directory, and log back in again with the name and password you want

In both cases, the user name and password need to be created in the XP computer.

6. dr20

dr20

Hi with Windows Primary Logon if you don't want a password to come up when Windows boots try this:

Go to the Control Panel and click on Passwords. From the Passwords Properties click Change Windows Password. On the first line type in your Old password but on the second line: New password leave that blank. With your next boot you should not be bothered for a password.

As to whether you can browse the network using Primary Logon you've said it worked ok before so try the password solution to get rid of that prompt.

7. fgwarrior

fgwarrior

how do i change the windows pasword if the cpu was given toand i dont no the admin password

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is no such thing as an admin password for Win9x.

If you want to log in, and don't know the current password, you can:

1. Log in with a different name and password
    2. Press Cancel at the login, delete the current *.pwl files in the c:\windows directory. Then go back and log on with whatever name and password you want.

9. fgwarrior

fgwarrior

hi there again i geuss i wasnt clear on my last question, ihave windows 98
    and when i get on the net and try to go to any page the content advisory thing pops up and when i try to change it in interenet options, or disable it says supervisor password is required how do i change that password please help kinda a beginner on the cpu.....

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you forgot your Supervisor Password for the Internet Explorer, you can remove it by:

Starting Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies
    Delete the Ratings key

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice