1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98 upgrade on a Packard Bell R515

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mjw, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjw

mjw Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my system on a Packard Bell R515 to Win 98. My sytem is as follows, 200MHZ, 3.2 GB HD, 32 MG Ram, Mfg# 845298112. Since performing the U/G my computer no longer shuts down (Have been shutting down manually), after I boot up I get RunTime error message, I can't open the Help menu from clicking on Start, sometimes when I turn it on my mouse won't function, whatever I click on nothing happens. Anyones imput and or suggestions has to what I need to do is greatly appreciated.

Michael

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Did you use a 98 upgrade disk or did you reformat and start from scratch?

32 megs of ram isn't much to be running 98.......

3. mjw

mjw Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

Thanks for your reply. I utilized a 98 upgrade disk. Again, your suggestion sa to how to correct problem is greatly appreciated.

Michael

4. ~Candy~

Well, with only that much ram, you certainly don't want a bunch of stuff starting when Windows loads....I can only imagine how painfully slow the machine must run already.

So, for starters,

start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

Then go to my computer, right click on the c: drive, properties, how much is free space?

Then, go to the same place, click the performance tab, does it show optimal there?

Also, when you did the upgrade, did you choose the option to allow you to go back to 95?

5. mjw

mjw Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

I worked with my computer this weekend a bit. In answer to your questions, there is 56MB of free space on drive C. The performance tab shows Optimal. I don't recall if I choose the option to go back to '95. I also didn't understand the last part of your first suggestion to edit, copy and come back and paste? Paste to where? I had also checked Quick time in control panel and It shows operating system as Win '95.

Again, any other suggestions or trouble shooting ideas will be greatly appreciated. I'd also though about adding more megs of ram. would this solve my problems? Machine still isn't shuting down from start toolbar.

Michael

6. ~Candy~

Right click on my computer again........properties.....what shows there for the operating system.

That isn't too much free space on the hard drive, is there anything you can delete?

.......and yes more ram would help.

If you go to add/remove programs in the control panel, is there an option there to remove 95, or go back to 95 or uninstall 98...not sure how it's listed anymore......been awile since I've seen it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice