1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 98 will not load

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chris Cucksey, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris Cucksey

Chris Cucksey Thread Starter

We have a HP 6350 with Windows 98. When I boot the PC I get an error message that there is not enough extended memory to operate Windows 98. I looked in the MS Support site and the solution per them was to check the TTFontDimenCache for duplication. We did this and there is no duplicates. We have tried to reboot using a start-up disk, but it will only let us get into a safe mode.

We also reinstalled Windows 98 and that did not correct the problem. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks Chris C:confused:

2. Rikku

Rikku

Is there some stuff listed in your autoexec.bat or config.sys files?

Maybe you should try pressing F8 when it says "Starting Windows 98" then stepping through the items Windows goes through when it boots.

Sounds like somethings loading that's not supposed to in the boot process.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Is it still under warranty?
    If so I'd call HP.

Savvy :)

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

There are a few other things to check out.

If you can boot to DOS try searching for himem.sys (at the C:> prompt type dir /s himem.sys) If it is missing the PC won't be able to initialise any extended memory (past the first 1 MB) so all that RAM just goes wasted.

If it is missing you will need to extract a copy from your Windows CD again in DOS, Type Extract /? and it will give you a list of all the syntax and commands to use to get at the file. It needs to go into the Windows folder.

Another thing to check is for invalid entries in your autoexec.bat and config.sys files, possibly loading or referencing invalid memory managers such as emm386 with invalid switches. Post them here if you like and I'll take a look over them.

Lastly, in terms of what I can think of off the top of my head, is the vmm.vxd still on the system. Search for it as per himem.sys. VMM stands for virtual memory manager, and if its missing it can also cause a similar problem.

Hope that some of this helps.

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Another quick thought.

Did you format the hard drive before reinstalling Windows? If not a bad configuration file or registry entry may not have been over written. In that case I would format and try again.

If you did format already then you might have a failed RAM module or other hardware problem.

6. Chris Cucksey

Chris Cucksey Thread Starter

I cannot find the vmm.vxd. We did see the himem.sys in windows.
    When we search for vmm.vxd, we see a vmm32 vxd and a vmm32 folder. Is that what I should be looking at, or is my vmm.vxd gone?

Also, in search I can see
    device= c:\windows\himem.sys and c:\windows\emm386.exe

We have not reformateed the the drive yet, that's a last resort thing. But...it is looking better every minute.
    The PC is no longer under warranty and I have searched the HP site, but this site has given me much more to go on.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you can boot in safe mode, run msconfig and clear the checks on the general page for autoexec.bat and config.sys and try restarting.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188867

Also click on the Advanced tab in msconfig and see if Windows is recognizing all your installed memory (you will see that under "limit memory to..")

You wouldn't be able to start in safe mode if vmm32.vxd were missing. It is a compressed file which is created during install and is unpacked every startup.

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

you're in good hands now

Savvy :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice