1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98se and video card

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ohioweaver, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ohioweaver

ohioweaver Thread Starter

Hello all of my new "helper friends". When I upgrade Win 95 to Win 98se, there has been occasional problems but TODAY and yesterday were the worse! I had to reinstall my video card which is the DIAMOND Viper v330. It clearly says in the cd and even when I re-installed, it is for Win 95.
    Some time last year, and I don't know where I got this from, but I THINK I NEED IT AGAIN, a file called NVIDIA RIVAL 128.
    I don't know WHERE to find that update and I've tried hunting around MICROSOFT, but they are so damn confusing, I've given up on them! On Microsoft web pages it clearly states that people with Win 98 have had the support EXTENDED TILL 2006, yet anywhere I try to get some e-mail support, type it in, click and the page DOESN'T WORK! What is with that? Can anyone tell me HOW TO send a question to get some support? It's still free from what I can tell, but am I wrong about being free?
    Anyway my new tech friends, I need to know since I have Win 98se, upgraded to 128Ram do I need to upgrade that video card to that Nvidia Rival128 and where do I get it? Thanks, and if anyone wants to meet me, visit my web site where my midi music is: www.midigal.com

2. ohioweaver

Just after finding this wonderful website, I tried something. I went to my driver of the Diamond card and pushed update! Guess what? It gave me that Nvidia Rival128 updated driver! Sorry to have wasted your time but thanks for being there! [email protected]

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Prior to upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 98SE(which was a good move), you should've downloaded and saved the drivers for the video card, sound card, and modem card. These are the primary ones that need to have the drivers updated after making the Windows upgrade.

There is information and support for Windows 98SE all over the place. You just have to know where to find it. Here are a few:

http://www.kbalertz.com/technology.aspx?tec=232

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98

http://9337387.home.icq.com/index.html

Now that you've made the Windows upgrade, make sure to make use of the Windows updates site and get all the critical updates installed, and make sure to upgrade to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

4. ohioweaver

I now have some stuff to work with thanks to your kindness. About those upgrades though, I only have a 56K modem and all of the upgrades I saw on Micros. upgrade for Win 98 had to do with security! And they take up too much memory on my HD. I just now need to know which of those security is essential compared to the ones that I just believe gives back my PC's info to Microsoft? Is it true or not, that some upgrades don't benefit us at all, just info that the company can use?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're getting memory(physical RAM) and hard drive space confused.

How large is your hard drive, how much free space does it have, and how much used space does it have?

There are many ways to reclaim hard drive space. Click the link below and read the article, "Throwing Out The Trash".

6. ohioweaver

On my PC there was 6.5 G of memory. I have over 2.16GB still available.
    I went to Frank's website, did the Microsoft updates and installed them today. I know 2.16GB is probably sufficient to leave things as they are. My system has 128 Ram.
    I just like to clean up unused stuff on my system. I haven't yet done the defrag prg. because it TAKES TOO LONG. Any suggestion to shorten the time on doing that? Diane

7. brindle

brindle

Welcome to TSG
    Seems like your two threads are related. Probably should answer AcaCandy's question first and resolve the win98 issue. After doing that I'd be pleased to show you how to clean up you computer and speed up defrag.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If your hard drive is 6.50 GB in size and it still has 2.16 GB of free space left, it's not too full. My hard drive is 6.03 GB and still has 3.93 GB of free space, but I'm pretty fastidious about keeping the junk and useless programs out of it. Like I previously said, there are many ways to get rid of a LOT of junk. (y)

You can speed up the defragging process by copying the Windows ME version of Disk Defragmenter into your computer. If you read my article, "Essential Free Utilities You Should Have", it has a link to download it from and the instructions on how to copy it. Both the 98SE and ME versions look identical, but the ME version runs much faster. (y)

If you computer supports more than 128 MB of RAM, install another 64 - 128 MB. It's one of the best performance boosts that you can give it. (y)

9. ohioweaver

Here's a strange thing: a few years ago I purchased Win Me, installed it, had nothing but trouble, uninstalled it back to it's box. So I'll try that defrag idea tomorrow.

'Nother question: I just noticed that I don't have an DR. WATSON on my current Win 98 (in the folder under Dr. Watson is only something called FRAMES). So is that Watson of any benefit that I should have and what does it do anyway? Can I find Dr. Watson anywhere on my CD of Win 98? Or can I download it from Microsoft web site? The only ONE THING I really liked on Win Me was the RESTORE that one could recall an old WORKING system so you could get back to where your Win system worked again.
    Why isn't a Restore on Win 98? Ok, I've caused all of you enough trouble, so I'm out of here! Did any of you visit my web site that I made yet?
    www.midigal.com Diane

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 98SE doesn't have a System Restore feature like Windows ME and Windows XP, but you can restore the registry in Windows 98SE if something goes wrong after a software install or a computer mistake. To do that, start your computer and keep tapping the F8 key until the black DOS screen appears. Select "command prompt", then press enter. Type in scanreg /restore, then press Enter. Select a registry copy prior to the date the problem occurred(but not the oldest copy), then press Enter.

11. ohioweaver

How very interesting! I have printed out your instructions and will keep them in "important papers" file. I hope that I can keep you guys as my mentors for later problems because you just know so much, you are an invaluable resource! Thanks, Diane

12. ohioweaver

Somewhere (and now I've lost the info) there was a way to stop programs from running in the background all the time which has caused my system to run very slowly. Here's the questions:
    1. Do I need ANY of these things on the taskbar on the right and on the left at the bottom of my screen? Such as: SB PCImixer, my display numbers 1024X768 True color 32 bit,and do I need QUICK TIME at all? since I have a PC and nothing to do with Apple, volume control, Seti which is my Screen Saver, AOL connection,another 1024X768 Diamond Viper 330 icon, Kodak Picture Transfer icon (I use the Dock beneath my camera to do this so do I need this icon here?, and the last one Kodak Easy Share icon.

2. Will this help my system to run a little faster?

Thanks! Diane

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). You will see several entries listed there, and most likely most of them will have a checkmark next to them. Every entry with a checkmark next to it is loading during startup and running in the background. The only entries that absolutely need to remain checked and enabled are

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

Entries pertaining to your antivirus program

Most, if not all, of the other entries can be unchecked and disabled.

QTTASK.EXE can definitely be unchecked and disabled. Also, go into C:\PROGRAM FILES\QUICKTIME and delete the QTTASK.EXE file from there.

Right-click an empty space in the desktop, then click Properties - Settings(tab). Change the color palette from 32-bit true color to 16-bit high color, then apply the change. The monitor screen may black out for a couple of seconds, which is normal. 32-bit true color is not needed, and puts a bigger strain on the display adapter and uses more memory.

14. ohioweaver

Thank you so much. Did what you said but one mystery: on that startup list, there wasn't any SCANREGISTRY. Where I can find that particular thing? Also, I had already deleted Quicktime (don't have any use for it).

I've also had a number of time of total LOCKUP, once I've connected to AOL. I've done their computer check, but it (the lockup) happens only occasionally then it's ok again. Diane :)

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Diane:

If you've got no need for QuickTime, you can uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs list. After you do that, delete the QuickTime folder from the C:\Program Files folder. After you do that, do a "Find" on QuickTime, then delete any leftover files it brings up. If you're not sure about a file, right-click it, then click Properties. The information in the General and Version tabs will tell you if it's associated with QuickTime or not.

I wouldn't touch "AOL Hell" with a 10-foot pole, so you now know my feelings about it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice