1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 98se auto installing a usb device as UNKNOWN DEVICE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daniel_h, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daniel_h

daniel_h Thread Starter

REF http://forums.techguy.org/t39523.html

I have a very similar situation.

I have a windows 98se machine runnong on an Intel Celeron 600MHz with 128MB of ram.

The OS was just installed.
    I am trying to instal an HP USB burner - I used this device before with no problems.

The drivers are located on a diskette. The manuf instructions advise to connect the power and usb cables and boot the pc with the diskette in the drive when windows finds the new hardware select the floppy drive.

When the pc is booted is finds new hardware lists it as "unknown device" and does not promt me for any input. If I go to device manager the device has a red x. I've tried to remove the device and reboot - same thing. I've tried to update the driver and it says the best driver is already installed c:\windows\inf\usb.inf

The ref url was resolved by changing the order of connecting the cables.....I have tried ever combo I can.

Can someone please tell me how to point to the correct drivers ?

Thanks
    Daniel

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have another USB device to try? I've got this many times with a bad USB port or incorrect USB wiring if the ports were connected to the motherboard incorrectly, the latter only applies to USB ports built into a case.

The other thing that will help is to download and install the latest motherboard chipset drivers, do you know the motherboard model or model of Computer. If not use Everest to find out: http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5

You may also need to run the HP setup prior to connecting the drive, newer drivers would be available from HP's website.

3. daniel_h

daniel_h Thread Starter

I've tried to install the software then connect the device and get the same results.

The usb ports are built on the board - I've tried both ports and each with the same results....I use an optical usb mouse that works fine in both. I thought maybe the mouse was causing some type of conflict so i connect it to the ps/2 port with an adaptor.

I used Everest and the board is :
    Celeron II 600 mhz
    asus hawk

I know the chipset info:

intel 810e chipset
    mem controller 82810e
    82801aa ich i/o cont
    intel 82810 graphic control

I downloaded the updated chipset drivers from Intel.

EDIT :
    I installed a Kodak USB camera with no troubles, found new hardware wizard id's it and promts me for driver locations....I used the same usb cable and port that I'm using with the drive. This may sound like the drive is bad, but I'm 98% it's good. I created a cd with it 4 days ago (backing up files so I could format this drive - I have a new pc on the way and I'll be handing this down to a sibling)

4. daniel_h

daniel_h Thread Starter

Sorry about the bump, but I'm still looking for a resolution.

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Have you used the burner on this PC before? It sounds like the burner might need USB-2 support.

Just a thought.

Kilowatt

6. daniel_h

daniel_h Thread Starter

Yeah it was used with this PC before I formatted.

7. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Can you hit cancel when Windows first finds the new hardware? If you can, do so then go into device manager, locate the device and try updating the driver from there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice