1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win 98SE Boot problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lilheath, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilheath

lilheath Thread Starter

Hey gang, I've been having a problem getting my pc to boot recently. I'm running Win 98 SE, and upon coming home the other day and turning on the pc I got the following error:

While initializing device VKD. Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer, and then I get the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen, which is wierd, 'cause I never get that screen when I shut down the pc normally.

When I restart, it automatically gives me the menu to go into safe mode, which I tried doing, but I got the same error, only it didn't even print the whole error on screen before locking up.

After doing a search here on the forums, I tried to do a scanreg /restore but nothing happened when I did. I ran a scandisk, and came up with one bad sector which it supposedly removed the files from.

Next, I reloaded Windows, and the setup process was running pretty smooth until the 2nd restart when it gets to the Updating System Settings with the little drumset, and it just stops working.

I tried this a couple of times with the same problem each time. Then, I booted from a floppy, and tried to run Windows, and I got the following error:

Invalid VxD Dynamic link call from CDUDF(03) + 000002EB to device "0488", service 1.
    Your Windows configuratoin is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.

It then gives me the option to load Windows anyways, if I try, I get the following error:

A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading. System halted.

Well, that's about it, any help is greatly appreciated,

Lilheath

2. TOF

TOF

CDUDF = Compact Disc Universal Data Format
    VFAT = Short for virtual file allocation table. It is a virtual installable file system driver used in Windows for Workgroups and Windows 95.

An Invalid Dynamic Link Call error message is the result of an incompatibility between driver versions, or a damaged or missing driver. Have you done anything to your CD-ROM drivers lately?

I would check the devise manager for the health of the drivers of your CD-ROM to see if that is causing the problem. If it is the CD-ROM as I suspect, you may need to disable your CD-ROM first in CMOS and then boot up if you can’t get into safe mode. Uninstall the driver in device manager. Re-enable the CD-Rom in CMOS and let plug and play reinstall the factory driver on boot up if your computer has it. If not, have one handy on a disk to install manually.

3. lilheath

lilheath Thread Starter

I tried disabling the CD drives in CMOS and was able to boot into safe mode that way. I removed the entries for the CD drives in the Device Manager and rebooted. When I came back up in normal Windows, I still got hung up ont he Updating System Settings screen. I turned off the power and booted back up into safe mode, and the 2 cd drives were there again in the device manager.

Any more ideas?

4. TOF

TOF

The driver that plug and play installs is probably corrupt. Get the latest driver for your cd-rom and save it to a floppy disk (be sure it's the right one). Boot into safe mode and in device manager you can update the driver from the disk. Once installed, reboot and see if that helps.

5. TOF

TOF

Here is a troubleshooter page from Microsoft that may help. The selective startup may help.

6. lilheath

lilheath Thread Starter

Well, looks like it was definitely the cd drive that was causing the problems. I have 2, one is a burner, the other a cd/dvd player. I ended up just unplugging the burner and tried to boot and everything worked more or less ok. I don't really need the burner for now, so I'll probably just leave everything as it is until I do need to burn something :) Thanks for your help!

Lilheath

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice