1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win 98se desktop won't stay aligned after shutdown/startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jrx10, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

can someone tell me what area of windows (or registry key) keeps the destop icons the way you want them. I've run adaware, spybot, AV and hijack this and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I've had a software program forever that will immediately put them back in order, and they stay that way until shutdown/startup. they are aligned perfectly on startup (left to right, top to bottom) but not to what I am used to. if someone could give me a clue on what to check I would appreciate it. --- or perhaps auto-arrange is somehow being selected on startup. I wouldn't mind eliminating the registry key for auto-arrange (need location) to see if this is the problem, or perhaps it's an icon cache problem. thx

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Try this...

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Lock Web Items on Desktop

Lock Web Items on Desktop
    [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
    your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
    lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
    move Web content.]]

If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
    Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

I have this on my computers running xp and xp-pro but not on the windows 98se computer. should "lock web items on desktop" be available in 98se? it never has been in mine, that's why I found the software program to put it back to normal when this happened 3 or 4 years ago. back then, the problem just went away.

4. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

I have this on my computers running xp and xp-pro but not on the windows 98se computer. should "lock web items on desktop" be available in 98se? it never has been in mine, that's why I found the software program to put it back to normal when this happened 3 or 4 years ago. back then, the problem just went away.

Sorry my mistake. THat option is not on 98. I will endeavor to find a fix though for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice