1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN 98SE has internet, won't see network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Teenytoona, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teenytoona

Teenytoona Thread Starter

I've got a computer (from which I'm typing right now) that can see the internet, can recieve e-mail, but otherwise acts as if it cannot access a network. I cannot see the network we currently have, I cannot access any of my printers, nor can I load them. Some of our networked computers are xp, some are 98SE, the other 98SE's can access the network, just not this particular computer. I"m not sure what information more you need to help diagnose the problem, so fire away with the questions, if need be.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If they are all getting Internet access from the same network connection I would assume your IP addresses are all correct. Is the computer in the same Workgroup as the other computers?

3. Teenytoona

To my knowledge they are all getting their IP addresses from the network. The workgroup is in fact named the same. It seems that everything that should be in order is in order, but yet the lack of connection to network still stands. (We need a little majorly-confused smiley).

I seem to recall there being an alternate TCP-IP protocol (or perhaps it was named other than tcp-ip, I can't recall) to install (or something to that effect) that a repair technician advised I use instead of the TCP-IP we have now. (if that information helps any).

4. Squashman

They are referring to NetBeui. But if all your other computers are working fine then there is something misconfigured on that machine. Are you able to ping all the other machines on the network.

5. Teenytoona

Ok, I haven't pinged in a while, could you talk me through it?

6. Teenytoona

is there a thread that goes over how to ping? I haven't done so in a long while and can't remember how to get to the open ping window.

Thanks

7. Teenytoona

Ok, I figured out how to ping. I am able to ping about 5 different IP addresses successfully (which is about right for the number of items currently on the network).

8. Teenytoona

To further add to the mystery, I've discovered that I am able to access files from the other computers only if I'm opening them through a program. For instance, I will open Autocad, then open a file in that program, and click on neighborhood network, and then see my other computers. However, when I click on the desktop icon for the network, I cannot see anything, in fact it says I'm not connected to the network.

ANy ideas?

9. Teenytoona

I'm still very puzzled about this and desperately need help with it. At present I've got 2 98SE computers that won't see the network at all. I can access internet, I can access some of the printers to which I am connected through the network. I used to be able to access the files through a program (such as open auto cad and then look at the network neighborhoood), but can no longer do that. I am straight up unable to see any of the computers on the network.:confused: :confused:

If anyone can talk me through this I'd be eternally grateful.

-Teeny

10. Squashman

I assume you have File and Printer sharing installed on all the computers.
    Try disabling the Master Browser on the Windows 98 machines. Reboot all the computers and let them sit for a bit. It may take a bit for everything to sort itself out again.
    http://cms.simons-rock.edu/faq_by_subtopic/node138.html

11. Teenytoona

Yes we have file and print sharing, and I can ping all the computers as well. What exactly is the Master Browser? Just the internet explorer that I generally use, or is that somethign different? Edited to add that I discovered the link you added, and I will go about trying that first. Thanks again.

12. Teenytoona

Frustration abounds. I tried disabling all the Master Browsers, like you suggested, Squashman, but I'm still having the same issue: yes to internet and printers, NO to the other computers.

13. Teenytoona

Any ideas on this?

14. Squashman

You don't want to disable the Master Browser on all the computers. Just the Windows 98 machines.

15. Teenytoona

Ok, so just reversing the protocols on the XP computers will work to undo what I had done? (I hope I didn't mess things up too much on that one).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice