1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win & AOL DOES NOT RECOGNISE MODEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andy.m, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy.m

andy.m Thread Starter

Have got IBM Thinkpad 390X PII running Win98 and AOL 6. Have done physical check on modem and found ACER modem installed, when trying to load, Win says Check Port and Interrupt (COM 1 INTERRUPT 4) at first Win says modem installed OK then gives me error msg. Have deleted AOL org. files and when starting up AOL, it tells me it sees TCP/IP whatever that is but not a modem. AOL Tech support no help, said I need to reload Drivers, but how do I do ALL THE ABOVE!!!!!! HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi andy.m, welcome to TSG.

Does your modem show up in the device manager without any exclamation marks?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

PM from user:

Hi Candy.
    When I try to ADD modem, Win tells me all is OK, then it tells me to check the port, then I lose it. There are no ex marks in device manager by the modem, but there are two by unknown things! Cant remember what they are, as the malfunctioning unit is at ahome right now.
    Please take me through a step by step way to install and check if my modem is working OK.

Regards

Remove the two unknown devices and the modem once again, reboot and see what windows finds.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice