1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win & BSOD - System Service Exception

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SkyeFox, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SkyeFox

SkyeFox Thread Starter

Hello,

I hope someone can assist me here. My new computer is just out of warranty and dispite trips to the tech support at the store where I purchased it, I'm still getting BSOD.

I have an AMD Athalon quad core Processor 2.80GHz
    4.00 GB RAM
    64 bit OS
    Windows 7 Pro

While under warranty I was getting BSOD crashes - 1st time the tech guys diagnosed problems with one of the cores and updated the BIOS. This solved the problems for a couple of months, then the BSOD started up again. 2nd time in the shop they found bad sectors on the hard drive and fixed them. Less then a month has passed since I got my computer back and again with the BSOD.

The crashes occur at random, sometimes when I'm working with the system, sometimes when it is sitting idle, not in use. I installed BlueScreenViewer and it is consistantly coming up with the crashes being caused by either Ntfs.sys (varying addresses) or ntoskrnl.exe (always at 70740).

I'm hesitant to take my computer back for tech service and end up paying for nothing and I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on what is wrong with my system and what steps I would need to take to fix it.

Let me know it additional information is needed and thanks.

2. centauricw

centauricw

What is the STOP code that is displayed when the BSOD happens?

3. SkyeFox

SkyeFox Thread Starter

Hello,

The STOP codes for the ntoskrnl.exe are 0x0000003b and for the the Ntfs.sys they are 0x00000024.

However there is one Ntfs.sys that had a STOP code of 0x1000007e

Anne

4. centauricw

centauricw

The STOP 0x00000024 indicates a problem with NTFS file system on the disk. If they found bad sectors on the hard drive, they should have replaced the hard drive. All hard drives made in at least the last 10 years reserve sectors that can be used to replace bad sectors. This all happens under the hood and the only time you will see a bad sector error on a disk check is when all the reserved sectors are gone. And then you should backup all your important data and replace the drive.

The STOP 0x0000003b appears to indicate corrupted page files on the disk or corrupted driver files, and this could also be caused by a bad hard disk. So first, replace the hard disk and reinstall Windows 7.

5. SkyeFox

SkyeFox Thread Starter

I'll take the information up to the shop and have another chat with them

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice