Win.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brandy555

Hi when i boot up i get the message:
cannot find win.com,unable to continue loading windows.

i am then left with the C:\ prompt, i then type;
cd windows ..win.com and windows kicks in

where is it hidding and why am i having to type it in

You may have an AUTOEXCEC.BAT file causing you problems. If your have Windows 98 or ME try renaming AUTOEXEC.BAT to AUTOEXEC.SAV and CONFIG.SYS to CONFIG.SAV, they are generally not needed. If that does not work go to a MS-DOS prompt and type: SYS C:

It will reinitialize the boot system files.

brandy555

thanks dan o but it hasent helped , through me looking and using some software i have found a file called WIN.SYD would that be WIN.COM and some bloody software has changed it and thats why my sys cant find it.
even so if my sys cant find WIN.COM
and i just type cd windows [WINDOWS] win
and everything kicks in why cant the sys find it ?????????
well to tell you the truth im right pisssed off with it now.

brandy, open a Windows DOS prompt and enter:

path

What does it show?

And when did this problem begin -- after an install or uninstall?

You may need to set a path statement in autoexec.bat, it really shouldn't be necessary, but....

Also open up msdos.sys in Notepad (it may be "hidden" so have "show alll files" checked in Folder Options View) . Msdos.sys is in the root directory c:\

You should have a paths statement at the top that looks like this:

[Paths]
WinDir=c:\windows
WinBootDir=c:\windows
HostWinBootDrv=c

brandy555

Thanks for your help Rog
i have looked at PATH it reads

PATH=C:\BC45\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;

i looked at my Msdos.sys and that is as you have said so i
think thats ok.

That path looks a bit funny with WIN98RK , what is that RK ?

As for did i install or uninstall well i am sorry but i cant be much
help there as usally by the end of a long night on the keys i
am totaly blitzzed ,you see i love my brandy. SORRY

Hi Brandy, open up autoexec.bat in Notepad; I think you should find that Path statement there -- looks like an incomplete version of what gets placed there with a Resource Kit installation.

Try adding this following the last semicolon:

%PATH%

I'm not sure why starting without autoexec.bat didn't work, but try renaming it back with the modification indicated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online