1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win.dat files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Frozenhelfire, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frozenhelfire

Frozenhelfire Thread Starter

Jan 27, 2008
    My mom has been trying to email herself files from work, mainly excel spreadsheets. When she gets them, the attachments are win.dat files. Anyone know how to convert it back? I tried changing it to a .xls but the spreadsheet contained jibberish and symbols.
  2. rka0

rka0 Banned

Oct 12, 2007
  3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Oct 4, 2000
    I presume that your mom is using Outlook?

This can be caused if Outlook is configured to send email in Rich Text Format.

Change the format to Plain text and see if the attachments come through correctly?

Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Plain Text. This will change the format for ALL sends.

To selectively change it, open the Contacts folder, then double-click on a contact's record.
    Double-click on the person's e-mail address.
    UNselect "Always send to this recipient in Microsoft Exchange Rich Text Format"

MS KB Note
  4. Homes in Phoenix

Homes in Phoenix

May 15, 2008
    I'm having the opposite problem...jpeg's and pdf's sent from my Outlook wind up at the receiving end as .dat files. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? It's happening on both my laptop (XP) and desktop (VISTA).
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/678477