Win Explorer Search Misses WP Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LostDog

I have a problem with Windows Explorer on an XP Professional system. When using Windows Explorer to Search for a particular word, e.g., Jones, in All Files and Folders, Windows Explorer returns all MS files, e.g., MS Word files, with the word Jones, but misses all WordPerfect files with the word Jones. The WP files are all *.wpd files in 6.x-11.x format. (I am absolutely sure that there are WP files with the word Jones in the directory searched. MS $35 per event tech support was worthless. I could not find an answer in Corel's Knowledge Base.) Alternatively, which non-MS utility do you recommend for ordinary searches of disks for files by the content of the files? TIA

Anne Troy

Anne
Welcome to TSG! Hope somebody finds you soon, LostDog!

Start-->Search and type:

*jones*.wpd

If you want it to search INSIDE the file, just make sure you don't choose "documents, spreadsheets, etc.". Instead, choose "all files and folders".

LostDog

The problem is exactly that when searching for a word INSIDE a file using All files and folders, the search picks upon only MS files, e.g., MS Word files, and does not pick up any WordPerfect *.wpd file. This is bizarre. Why would the Windows Explorer search in All files and folders results omit all WP documents but pick up all relevant MS documents?

LostDog,

I remember reading some discussion of this known problem (apparently new with XP) of Windows not finding certain kinds of files, including WP documents, at WP Universe. It seems that MS "improved" the search function in XP to "streamline" (ahem) the search process by including results that contained mainly -- or exclusively -- MS file types :rolleyes:

I believe that someone there included a link to a possible "fix" solution posted by MS that involved editing the registry, although of course they don't recommend this.

If you go to WPUniverse.com and search the troubleshooting forum archives, you might find the answer you're looking for.

Hope this helps...

m-dash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!