1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Explorer "Stops Working" when Reading DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by frank1492, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frank1492

frank1492 Thread Starter

This only happens with a DVD that has been made and finalized on a Panasonic stand-alone DVD recorder. I was proposing to browse the .vob files and select one or more for conversion to .mpg so I could edit them in Win Movie Maker. But when I double-click the TS folder, as the file icons are in the process of appearing (when the drive starts up), WE hangs. This is not a generalized problem as the folders and files seem to open properly in all other cases, including DVDs that have been made on the computer.
    Could someone please point me to the root of this problem and suggest a solution?
    Thank you.
    Frank
    P.S. I do have account control disabled, but ironically, after WE hangs, I get a reminder that account control needs to be enabled.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Most likely its just hanging the system as it trys unsuccessfully to read the DVD. Some computers will give up after just a few seconds of this activity...I've had some go on indefinitely.

You might try using Verbatim branded media in the stand alone if you aren't or if you are already then the recorder is just not making DVDs that that optic drive can read properly (but it knows something is there so it keeps trying (hangs)).

3. frank1492

frank1492 Thread Starter

Hi again Fairnooks (my lifesaver!)
    These are Dynex, the cheapest Best Buy brand. Perhaps you wouldn't be surprised to know that this DVD plays flawlessly on three other standalone players, including a fairly old one.
    I do find some of the these things quite mystifying.
    I will try your suggestion, however, switching to Verbatim, to see what happens.
    I am assuming you don't think it could be the recorder?
    Thank you.
    Frank
    P.S. WE hangs when the file icons are in the process of appearing. Just as a really extreme guess, I have tried to get WE to switch to a "list" format but can't seem to do this. Is there anyway I can create a
    "list" or "detail" format as a permanent default for the folder/file listing?

4. frank1492

frank1492 Thread Starter

Sorry, you said the recorder could be the problem. Isn't there any standardization at all with these things??????? I'm ready to go back to VHS.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

There is some standardization but the process of burning and reading homemade DVDs is still far more dynamic than one would hope for.

Switching to list or details format is not a bad idea; you should be able to put in one of the DVDs that works, set the view to details or list and make it the default (Tools>Folder Options>View tab>Apply to All Folders) and then put one of the "hanging" DVDs back in. Its not likely the problem but worth a shot (easy fix if it is).

6. frank1492

frank1492 Thread Starter

Voila! It worked! I seemed to notice that there was a struggle in opening the thumbnails (guess I called these icons) and that it would get to about 3 of 4 and hang on the last one. I didn't have enough sense to put in a non-problematic DVD and change the default view with that, so I never was able go to a list default.
    Of course the next question is: Do you have a clue what was happening?
    I have yet to find others who have had this problem, but I assume there are others. It didn't seem to come up with a Google or anywhere else in this forum, but I may have used the wrong keywords.
    Incidentally I have not installed SP1 for Vista. I wonder if it will address this issue.
    Again, many, many thanks. Look forward to your reply.
    Frank

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The only thing I have that's semi-relatable is I sometimes get DEP (data exception prevention) errors when trying to view network files in thumbnail view that otherwise work fine in details or list view.

There's a little bit of extra code that's executed to generate the thumbnails so I can understand why I'm getting the DEP errors but I still think its a bug or at least not very discerning.

So I would guess that there's something about one or more of the filenames or formats on the problem DVDs that Explorer is having difficulty interpreting and generating a thumbnail view for.

If there was some file that was unique to the problematic DVDs, being absent in the DVDs that work in thumbnail view, I would suspect that, otherwise its as much a mystery to me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice