1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win.ini-Can't Write to or Update the File

Discussion in 'Archive: Windows 95/98/Me' started by dstrand, May 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

I am trying to install office2000 on my win 98 amdk62 machine(and it has been installed before on this same machine with no problems) but it gets half way thru and says that it cannot access my win.ini file to make update changes. Not only can I see my win.ini, but i can access it as well. It is not read-only or anything like that. However, I was having a look at my file, and noticed many repeats(eg printer port was in there about 20 times along with a few other repeats) Could a virus have done that? My system is clean, reports Norton2001, and trend micro online scan. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bryan

Bryan

Try disabling Nortons and then install Office 2000.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

How big is the file?
    If it is larger than 64KB you will get errors attempting to update it.

4. dstrand

dstrand Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I deleted the repeats in the win.ini file and this brought the file below 64K. No prob installing after that. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44207