Win IP Config Local Area Connection Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jupjazz71

Verizon DSL service works fine from modem to router to my daughter's pc, but as of tonite, not to my much more important business PC through the same modem to router!

I was adjusting to having Anonymizer Total Net Shield and PGP Home Desktop 9.0 (overkill?) and decided to delete EmailProtect, a spam filter program, as getting email was slowing down too much. BAM! Error at bootup.My Internet connection goes dead.

Verizon Tech Support got this message for me out of the PC "Windows IP Configuration - An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket." They said contact the computer maker and/or Microsoft. UGH.

Have Windows XP Home Version 5.1.2600. The Ethernet adapter device status is "working properly". At command prompt, with "ipconfig /renew", my physical address is shown as 00-40-63-C7-99-63 with IP Address 169.254.154.93 and Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0 but nothing listed for Default Gateway, DNS Server and WINS Server.

At command prompt, with "ipconfig /renew", my daughter's IP Address is shown as 192.168.1.100 with Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway of 192.168.1.1

Both daughter's and my PC worked fine for nearly 3 years in the exact same setup. Do I need to get a new PC?!? I hope not, don't have the bucks..my PC is not yet 3 years old..

This message also when trying to "repair" Local Area Connection for having no connectivity to the Internet..."Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address."

http://images.techguy.org/smilies/confused.gif
:confused: http://images.techguy.org/smilies/confused.gif
:confused: http://images.techguy.org/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:

169.254.X.X is APIPA and its what Windows "runs home to" when it does not get a valid DHCP and is not hardcoded on the computer.

With that explination being made if you have made no hardware changes and it is all software related your best bet is to reset your TCP/IP stack.

Are you running Windows XP Service pack 2? if so you can run - netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt - this command will make it default back to the original setup.

If you get this error when you try and renew your IP address, Likely the winsock2 registry entries are corrupted.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
netsh winsock reset catalog

Then reboot

jupjazz71

StumpedTechy:

Wow, wow, wow there are true experts out there at Tech Support Guy! Will be donating again...

1) I must be running Win XP with Service Pack 2 if I update regularly and did so say a few weeks ago...can I confirm somewhere on my PC?

2) Are you saying run using Start button, then Run, then type in that line: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

3) Is this basically the same as what Bob Cerelli is advising?

cc: Bob Cerelli

JupJazz71

jupjazz71

StumpedTechy:

Wow, wow, wow there are true experts out there at Tech Support Guy! Will be donating again...

cc: Bob Cerelli

JupJazz71

1) I must be running Win XP with Service Pack 2 if I update regularly and did so say a few weeks ago...can I confirm somewhere on my PC?

(yes you confirmed it yourself)

2) Are you saying run using Start button, then Run, then type in that line: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

(yes i am saying this is the command you should run)

(winsock and TCP/IP are seperate parts of the same beast. I would also follow his more detailed instructions should this command line fix not work for you.)

jupjazz71

Well this seems to work...have to check configurations and functionality on other application software...but I got my Internet access back!!! What a miracle!!! HAPPY CAMPER HERE.

It is just the first command prompt line suggested by Stumped Techy, that was enough.

Like I said, donation time for TechGuy.org(y) (y) (y)

Jupjazz71

Woohoo. Glad to hear that this solved your problem! Happy browsing to all... and to all a good night :) (or if you don't celebrate christmas then insert cheesy holiday slogan here :) )

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online