Win me boot/error problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ihatebestbuy

Hi all,
I recently upgraded my win 98 to win me. I was hoping it would be more stable then my 98 was, but so far nothing can help my computer. Now I keep getting this error

Blue screen
Error
IFSMGR(01)+00004cod error:eek:d:0028:c00374c1

This error occurs on startup, and occurs if I am trying to play a game. The game vanishes, my screen goes to 256 colors, and when I try to fix my settings, this error pops up, then I have to reboot my computer and it does it on startup.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Chris

Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I have a Realtek Rtl8029(AS) PCI Ethernet adapter installed. I removed my modem and put this in for my dsl connection.

I looked under devoce manager and I can see no conflicts there. How do I know if this card is incompatible?

Chris

Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I contacted Tech support, I am waiting to hear from them. It seems like i have the latest drivers installed for this card. Is there anyway I can see if this card is causing a conflict? Should I change cards, or run out and by a new video card? I have been wanting to update my video card anyway, but wasnt sure if I could, since my compaq one is built right in.

Thanks for the help so far
Chris

Wish I could give you those answers. I'd give them a few days to answer. There may be something you can do in the BIOS to reconfigure things, but this is not something I have experience with.

MS has a hardware compatibilty list and you can have a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/results.asp

(enter: realtek in the "search for" field and select Ethernet from product categories)

This list seems to indicate that there should be a compatible driver on the WinME CD.

I can move you over to the Networking or hardware forum if you like ....

Ihatebestbuy

Rog,
I got a response to my question from the realtek tech guy, but I dont understand a word of it. I was hoping you could help me out. I would rather not move this thread yet, until I am absolutely sure it is the ethernet card.

Thanks
Chris
E-mail message below

Actually, our driver supports share IRQ for a long time. (i.e. IRQ could same as other devices)

Anyway, I attach to you the latest driver. (98/me use same driver) The other hand, please refer to our FAQ to reinstall driver !

Q11:
Why isn't my driver installed properly on win95 or win98?

A11:
If you use VIA MPV3 chipset, you must get a patch file to patch your win98 first !! (download it !!)

You can run "rset8029.exe" (diagnostic program) to test your card under PURE DOS first. This will make sure what the problem is (software or hardware).

Check the device manager tab of SYSTEM PANEL on control panel. Especially, check "OTHER DEVICES". If you find Network Adapter with a yellow "!" mark, you must delete it.

Remove NETWORK ADAPTER of system panel.

Delete "RTL8029.SYS" (driver) of system directory under win95 or win98.

Delete "NETRTP.INF" (information file) of INF directory under win95 or win98.

Reboot and the system will AUTO detect the latest hardware.

Reinstall the latest driver from our web.

Thanks for your E-mail & Best regards

Merry Christmas !!

-----------------------------------------------

Leo Kuo (Šs—F—§), Taiwan, Realtek

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online