1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win ME freezing up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by terryjohn316, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terryjohn316

terryjohn316 Thread Starter

I have regretted the day I bought a Dell computer from Ubid with Win ME as the op sys. I have so many freeze ups and loss of able to run certain programs and have to reboot that I am almost at the point of trashing ME, formatting the hard drive and reloading Win 98 2nd Ed. Is this common? My Gold Mine program goes goofy for a half hour everytime I have to reboot. GM tech support says that they are aware of the problem with ME and say they think it has something to do with the video driver. Seems earlier versions of Norton are incompatible with ME. What gives??????? Mr Gates ought to be sued for defective op sys. Any help out there?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

terryjohn316
    Welcome to TSG!
    WinME can be a bit of a headache at first and some people are reverting back to 98 and 98SE because of it. One thing you have to do is make sure you have all the recent drivers for your video card, printers and so on. Even though you bought ME preinstalled some are not updated properly. There are many things that can be done to help with the freeze ups but first I would follow the suggestion given by the Gold Mine program and see if there are updates for your video card. Now what is this Gold Mine program, I have not seen it. Do you have a link to that I can look at.
    Dave

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

What version of Norton are you running? If it's incompatible with Windows ME, remove it and install a compatible version. Don't blame Bill Gates or Microsoft for that. All Microsoft operating systems have problems. User error is a far more common cause of problems than the OS itself.

4. terryjohn316

Thanks for the replies. First of all Gold Mine is a database progam similar to ACT or Outlook that allows you to maintain common basic data about a client or company and expanded data thru custom fields you can define. Calendar, Address Book etc. plus coordination with Microsoft Word. Very powerful. We track all of our clients, their advisors-accountants, brokers, etc by creating separate data files for each and then linking them together. Anyway, GM tech support says they are aware of the problem, think their is a connection to the video driver but have NO solution. They say you just have to wait about half hour to 45 min and it clears up--which is true. In the meantime, while in the program, when you click on a drop down menu, the choices appear for a split second and then go away. You cannot pick any of them. You can see the problem visually since there are what appears to be flashing windows occuring in the main screen. I've also noticed the flashing screens in the lower right quadrant of the desktop.

As far as Norton I am using version 2001 7 something which is the lastest that I can tell. The version conflict thing came up in a FAQ site from either Norton or MS that I was reviewing. Even tho the version that came with it is supposedly a current one and "shouldn't" conflict with ME I could remove and reload if you all would think it might help.

Are you saying that ME is not the monster many say it is? And for the most part is no better or worse than 98 SE?

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Terryjohn
    I am currently using Norton 2001 on several WinME machines and have had few problems with it. The two primary problems that will occur are startup conflicts which is corrected by moving the startup from MSconfig startup to the user startup folder. And the second problem is sometimes during a system restore NAV will not be able to load afterwards which can be resolved by following their repair procedure. With restore it happens occasionally.
    WinME is stable on all the systems I use it on. WinME is bulkier than Win98 because of restore, pcheath, and help-support file integration. Other than that both OS's are very much the same.
    I run Both here and find both to be stable. One item I do miss having quick access to is scanreg /restore since dos mode is not directly available. System restore has failed me in the past and was able to recover using scanreg /restore. This can be accomplished by using a WinME bootdisc and selecting minimal support. As for your GM problem, (oh by the way it sounds like a very nice program), If GM is aware of the problem are they working to fix it? It may be a difficult one to find a workaround
    if GM's code is not fully compatible with WinME.
    Dave

6. terryjohn316

Thanks, how do I move the startup for NAV from MSconfig startup to the user startup folder?

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice