1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Me - IE6 OE6 caused problems!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marjoe, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marjoe

Marjoe Thread Starter

Running Windows ME, and have a major headache since installing/uninstalling IE6.
    Problems upon installing IE6:
    1. Some IE windows would come up blank
    2. Can't download any programs through IE - The File Download box comes up, but when I click on the Open or Save buttons, nothing happens. (The Cancel and More Info buttons work.)
    3. No Java

I tried to Repair IE6, but it came up with a message that the repair could not be done - it listed a whole bunch of dll files that were older versions than the ones needed.

I used the Add/Remove to revert back to IE5.5

Still have problems #2 and 3.

New problem:
    Outlook Express 6 did not revert back to OE5.
    I can't open OE - error message: Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be loaded.
    I want to uninstall OE6 and reinstall OE5, but I want to back up my OE data first. How can I back up my OE data if I can't open OE6 to get to it?

And how do I fix problems 2 & 3?

Thanks for any help!

2. NotRite²

NotRite²

Marjoe,

I had a similar experience with IE6 and ME. I never did figure it out and ended up reinstalling the OS to fix everything. I may have ended up doing so for failure of being able to run System Restore because I had not gotten and installed the patch needed for it to restore to points created after Sept. 8th, 2001. Have you tried System Restore if indeed you do have the patch?

I have 3links for you below. The 1st being a link to an excellent OE backup program with which there is no need to to open OE. The 2nd is a link to the KB artcle explaining how to do so manually. The 3rd is a link to the System Restore patch that you most definately need if using this program.

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;q230208

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;q230208

3. monted

monted

Microsoft is supposed to come out with IE6 Service Pack 1 sometime.

4. Marjoe

Marjoe Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the replies!

NotRite, That OEBackup looks like the perfect solution for me. But I'll need to download it onto another computer since this one refuses to take any downloads.

You're absolutely right - I don't have the System Restore patch. I didn't find out about the patch until I started looking for ways to fix what IE6 did to my system.

Was that System Restore patch a well-kept secret? I had automatic Windows updates, and also visited the Microsoft download site now and then, where it scanned my computer and then listed recommended updates. Seems odd to me that the Restore patch wasn't part of a Critical Update?

Looks like I'll be doing a reinstall of the OS once I get all my data backed up.
    Thanks a bunch!

5. Del

Del

Before you go and reinstall ME, go to Start > Accessories > System Tools and Click on System Restore. Then click next and see if you have a system restore point a few days before you installed IE6. If you do, restore to that point. The patch isn't always necessary. I never needed it and have restore points I can use.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice