1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win ME & NAV 2005 - Slow boot after install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Clayton53, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clayton53

Clayton53 Thread Starter

Hi
    I am using Win Me, and after installing Norton Anti Virus 2005, there is a spot where the reboot slows down/stops for about 30 seconds. I have been communicating with Norton cust. serv., to no avail. I have tried unchecking NAV files through the msconfig utility - as per NAV, but it doesn't go away, even though I uncheck everything. The only thing that makes it return to previous normal reboot speed, is to uninstall NAV. Is there any solution for this?
    If there is a solution, maybe somebody could respond to my e-mail address? Is that kosher?
    [email protected]
    Thank you.
    Clayton

2. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

Im having the same problem but on xp. There doesnt appear to be any solution, 2005 has some horrible compatibility issues.
    Maybe someone can help you, but i think i speak for everyone in these forums when i say get a different antivirus, preferably AVG.

3. Clayton53

Clayton53 Thread Starter

Any reason you mention AVG? I tried the free/basic version for a while. I don't know, is their protection for e-mail and worms etc. supposed to be as good as NAV?
    Anyhow, then I upgraded to Norton Systemworks for a few years, and this time got the NAV 2005 free, from Office Depot; a rebate for buying TurboTax there. BTW, I didn't have this trouble when I was updating the anti-virus module from within Systemworks. It started when I got the stand alone NAV 2005.
    I have also used McAfee, but didn't like their interface, etc.

4. 911

I have never had anything but problems with Norton products. NAV crashed every time I needed to do a System Restore and needed to be removed (ENTIRELY) and reinstalled, then a mess of updates downloaded, etc. 4 times in 3 months convinced me to get rid of it, and I find that AVG runs perfectly without any problems.

5. Clayton53

Clayton53 Thread Starter

Well, NAV in itself, runs Ok. There's just this boot-up thing going on.
    Are you using the basic AVG, or a paid version. If paid, how much is the annual subscription, or definition updates or whatever they call it?

6. 911

I am using Free AVG. It automatically updates the virus definitions daily. Never had a single problem or viral infection.

7. Clayton53

Clayton53 Thread Starter

Hmm... are you using anything in addition, like Spybot, or Spyblaster etc?
    I guess seeing as I essentially got this for nothing, I wouldn't be "out" anything to give AVG another run.

8. 911

I am also using both Spybot and Ad-Aware. They find things that are not viruses. Most Antivirus programs do not find spyware, and I feel that I need both.

9. Clayton53

Clayton53 Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the info. I've d/led AVG again and will give it a try.
    Clayton

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice