Win ME -- Networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobroosth

The situation: four computers -- one Win XP Pro, two Win 98, one Win ME. Linksys router to DSL. The first three network just fine. The ME system refuses to play. No matter what I do, I get "Unable to Browse Network".

The hardware is fine. That machine surf the net, so the nic and cable have to be OK.

I have removed and reinstalled ALL network components. I added NETBEIU to this and one other computer. Still no go. MS KB has no useful suggestions.

Short of reinstalling Windows, any suggestions?

Post your IP info for the ones that can network and the one that can't. What is your router config make and model and port setup? Sounds like you are connecting to an uplink port.

bobroosth

The router is a Linksys BEFSR41. Static IP to the DSL, DHCP to the local network, 192.168.1.100..103.

Again, the ME machine can surf the internet. Somehow Client for MS Networking is not loading properly. If I do Net View from a command prompt, it tells me I cannot start the networkt that way.

bobroosth

After a lot of false steps, I finally found the registry key autologon and deleted it. Also deleted all .pwl files and made sure Client for MS Networking was the default. Works great now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online