1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win me startup failure

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by joecoolio, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joecoolio

joecoolio Thread Starter

I had read the post, http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/86696-solved-scanreg.html, about the ""Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG to correct this error." problem. I can not, however, get my PC to boot from a disk or CD Rom. No matter what I do, it goes straight to that same error message/prompt. It is as if the PC is simply bypassing the floppy and CD drives at startup. What can I do to get my little precious to boot up for me and get working again?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. You need to access the bios setup, usually pressing DEL, F1, F2, or the like, and make sure the bios setup is set to boot to the cdrom or floppy drive first. It sounds like the hard drive is the first boot option.

3. joecoolio

joecoolio Thread Starter

Wow, and much thanks for the advice. Pressing F2 got me in and eventually allowed me to get to a command prompt. From there, I did the restore and am now able to work. Super kudos to you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it, especially on something as old and crappy as WINME.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You're welcome. You should have tried Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 :eek:

You can mark the thread solved right above your first post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice