Win ME troubles ... wtf???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

[UNIX]Petrov

Hi,I am new in windows :) :) :)
I am usually using slackware linux,but now i am runing windows me.My pc is : PII 400mhz,96mb ram,3x hdd (3;5 and 6 gb) 8 mb video.The windows is not working ok!
I am installed all device drivers,opera browser,winamp,dc++,emule and mirc.When I am downloading with dc++ the winamp stops sometimes for 2-3 secs;and if i open more than 5 explorer windows,operating with 'em is sooo slooowww :( :(
With win xp there are no troubles (xp is 2003,me is 2000)?!?!?!?!?
pls,tell me what i can to do to make it more faster :eek:

Windows ME has terrible memory management. 96mb ram is more than likely your problem. Running all that stuff at once, in ME, with 96mb ram, can easily cause you to lag like no tomorrow. I suggest either upgrading your RAM to 128 (256 is even better) and using XP.

Another thing to consider is you might be infected with some spyware (welcome to the world of microsoft windows). If you use file sharing programs such as DC++ and emule, I'm guessing that it's possible you might have visited some less than respectable websites and contracted some spyware as well. What version of Winamp are you using? If it's the newest version, make sure you use classic skin instead of the modern one (this will help loads, check the skins area in options to switch it I believe).

Linux has much lower system requirements than most Windows based operating systems. Quite honestly I'd just stay with Linux if I were you, unless you have compatibility issues and need to run a windows program that won't run in wine.

Also, disabling active desktop in display settings helps. If you go into system properties and go into advanced, you can set your page file settings yourself instead of letting windows manage it. I suggest setting min and max to 128 or higher. More icons on the desktop also causes excess lag... let's see what else... Oh, try disabling some of the things that start up that you don't need in MSconfig (go to Run and type msconfig and hit enter).

[UNIX]Petrov

Krelian,thanx in advice!!! :)
I've done some of these things before i was post in the frum,but thank you so much.I have some programs (TuneUP utilities,Ad-aware,RegCleaner) which i use to manage start-up programs,to defragment the regisrty and to clear spam & sh**s :D :D .
I an using this installation of win since 2 days and i think that it is not virus-infected (ryt now :rolleyes: )By dc++ i am downloading some mp3,avi & stuff from the LAN (i have dc hub in local area network) i don't share anything.
Winamp version is 2.90 of cource with the clasic (default) skin.

P.S. : the best windows : Windows NT4 Server sp6!!!

Little advice, don't speak or talk about file sharing programs on the techguy forums, the moderators tend to lock posts which do. I've used TuneUp Utilities before, they have some pretty nice options. Personally, I consider XP Pro and 2000 to be tied for the best windows versions currently. Windows 2000 is probably a bit more stable, but it has compatibility issues with games and some apps 'cause it's an NT build.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online