1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Me will NOT shutdown....just restarts!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hottesttotty, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hottesttotty

hottesttotty Thread Starter

This is my first question here, I just found the site last night, and seems like you all have some very knowledgable people here! Hope somebody can help me with this!

Ever since we networked our home computers, the main computer will NOT do a normal shut down. When you select shut down, it just restarts. Also, we use this as the main computer for internet connection sharing, and even when the other computers are off completely, this one connects, even after you hit "cancel" in the connect window. Both of these problems still persist when connection sharing is disabled. The weird part is, at first it would actually shut down once in a while, kind of "hit or miss", but over the last month or so, it just won't shut down at all. During a storm I've just done it "the hard way" before it had a chance to restart.

I'm totally at a loss!! TIA to anyone who can help!! :)

TT

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. beach51

beach51

Hi hottesttotty,and welcome to TSG.It sounds like a spyware componnet trying to call out.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32,click ok.Click on the + sign next to software environment,click on startup programs,click edit,select all,edit,copy,and paste the page back here.

4. hottesttotty

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Adaptec DirectCD c:\progra~1\adaptec\directcd\directcd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Adobe Gamma Loader.exe c:\progra~1\common~1\adobe\calibr~1\adobeg~1.exe .DEFAULT Startup
    Delay c:\windows\delayrun.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HPScanPatch c:\windows\system\hpscanfix.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    hpsysdrv c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ICSMGR icsmgr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Keyboard Manager c:\program files\netropa\one-touch multimedia keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCAgentExe c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCUpdateExe c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe /embedding All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    mgavrtclexe c:\windows\mcbin\av\rt\mgavrtcl.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    mgavrtclexe c:\windows\mcbin\av\rt\mgavrte.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    MMTray All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MoneyAgent "c:\program files\microsoft money\system\money express.exe" .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS "c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe" /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Taskbar Display Controls rundll deskcp16.dll,quickres_rundllentry .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    USSShReg c:\progra~1\uleads~1\uleadp~1.2\ssaver\ussshreg.exe /r All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

It's all GREEK to me (well, not ALL....but you get the jist!!)

See whatcha think....if there is "spyware" involved, does that screw up general operations too? I've noticed some other little hang ups lately, like some programs not opening unless I do a restart..???

TIA.....

"TT"

5. beach51

beach51

Hi Hottesttotty,well the good news is i dont see any of the real nasty spyware componnets.Just last night while AcaCandy,and i Where helping someone,we came accross an article about Lexmark printers installing a spyware componnet on people's computer without there knowdlege.Try this Go to start>run>type in msconfig,click ok.Click on the startup tab,take the check mark out of Lexmark prin tray.Click apply,then ok.Let the computer re-boot.See if that stops the problem.Also you have to many programs starting up,Go to this site and scrool down to msconfig.You'll see startup programs,theres a list of programs there,and will tell you what you need at startup and what you dont.

Let us know if this helps with the problem.

www.rselby.com/Windows.html

6. hottesttotty

Well, I got rid of alot of the excess start up stuff, but still couldn't get it to shut down. So, I tried a ctrl-alt-del before I tried to shutdown last night, and lo and behold, the "backweb" that I had deleted from start up, was indeed runnning, so I hit end task and tried to shut down....guess what? It worked!! I had called tech support earlier, for my network card, since alot of the articles you all had suggested said that it could need an updated driver, but there didn't appear to be one on the linksys site....anyway, their tech support told me to try moving the card to a different slot. I guess if I continue to have problems that may be an option, but for now, this seems to have worked!

Thanks to all for your input!

TT

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. AZ

AZ Guest

Hi,

I'm no expert but I have a HP Computer.
    Isn't it a rip-off that they load ten zillion pieces of CRAP on "Your Personal Computer"!
    I Add-Remove / Backweb immediately (remove from Start-up) and do Search / Files - Folders / Backweb cause there are always files left.

I learned something this morning from Savvy (via DS) and it might help in that it worked for me.
    When you Start-Shut Down, Hold the shift Key down.

AZ Good Luck.

:)

9. hottesttotty

Yup, it's an HP!! You're right, it really does SUCK that they put all that extra CRAP on here! Not to mention the fact that they pre-install everything and only give you a recovery cd, so you can't just do a clean windows install. (Or, CAN you?? Anyone knowing how to do this with just the recovery cd, PLEASE fill me in!!)

Anyway, I took your advice and uninstalled it, and then I did a find file, and there's still two things related to it in here. I'll tell you all what they are, so hopefully someone can tell me if it's ok to just delete those too!??

First thing was a file, "backweb.lgc", in c:\windows\applog.
    Second was a folder, "backweb", in c:\hp\patches. Inside this folder there are 4 folders, "alluse~1", "backweb","dvd patch", "printer", and 2 files, "automod" and "patches".

TIA.......

TT

10. AZ

AZ Guest

11. hottesttotty

Well, AZ, I deleted the files, and then tried to shut down normally and all went fine, so I haven't needed to try the shift thing yet. Hopefully all will STAY this way!! :)

Thanks again all for the help!! I LOVE this site!! Consider me a new regular! ;)

TT

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

hottesttotty,

Glad you're going to be a regular here, we usually meet in "Randoms" in the early AM hours and have coffee at AZs house.

See there is hope after all...........

Like AZ suggested if you encounter shutdown difficulties in some future try the "Shift" key trick thingy.

As to a clean install with a recovery disk only it won't happen so you need not go there.

BTW, if you want to get rid of some start up stuff you do not need there in order to save on resource usage take a look here:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

DS

13. hottesttotty

Well, just when you think all is well....still have the shut down problem! I went through all the start up progs. tho, and got rid of alot of stuff there, improved my avail. mem. significantly...about 12% higher than before.

Wondering about the shift thing....do you press shift before shutdown and keep holding it until it shuts down....or what? Going to try that next I guess! Then....that brings the question, if it works...WHY?? What does it do? I wonder if I just go ahead and move the network card, like their tech support said, if that will do the trick permanently?? I don't want to have to mess around EVERY time I shut down...do i??

I dunno...:confused:

TIA

TT :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice