1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win ME will not start.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Chris A, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Installed a printer last night and today when they went to start their computer it would hang at the Win ME splash screen.

Over the phone I have tried to talk them into trying safe mode and it hangs there too..

No error messeges or codes. Tried step by step and it goes through all the steps then hangs on splash again.

Is there a way to get to a command prompt in ME? Any ideas?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. ViperFan

ViperFan

First Name:
    Charlie
    Hi!

I am assuming that since Me has the same kernel as Win 98, you can start your computer and press F8 a bunch of times to get to the "safe" screen. The last option should say "safe command prompt" or something like that.

Another way of getting to a C:\ prompt would be to use a Win 95 floppy disk. Pop it in the A:\ drive and boot. You are savvy enough to get to where you want to from here!

It is my hope this is a help to you. Have a SAFE and Happy New Year!

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Create a Windows ME boot diskette and boot to it. Then select the option for "Minimal Boot". Then run a scanreg /restore from the a:\> Prompt

If you need a Windows ME boot diskette, go here <a href=http://www.user-friendly.net/download/download.htm> here</a> on any functioning Windows PC and download Bootme.exe to the harddrive. It doesn't matter what version of Windows it's running. Once itÂ’s downloaded to the harddrive, you need to execute the program to build the new Windows ME boot diskette. Insert a blank floppy diskette and double left click on Bootme.exe to create a Windows ME boot diskette.

BTW Chris, where have you been? Good to see you back and I hope everythings been well with you.

5. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Unfortunatly I am not in front of the computer it is at my Girlfriends house and sadly she has no boot disk..

I tried to talk her into going through safe mode and she did chose that after pressing F8... Safe mode hung at the same splash screen at the same place.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    As far as I know, F8 doesn't work with ME. You need to press and hold the Ctrl key to get the Startup menu. But that aside if it won't boot in SafeMode then create a Windows ME boot diskette from the site I posted above and then try a scanreg /restore

7. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Thanks Brian That is what I was after..

I have been well Just been busy.. I have had to work quite a bit since they threatened to fire me :D

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I understand the work thing. I don't post from work anymore either. I limit it now to when I'm home. Anyway, create the boot diskette using the site I linked to above and then hopefully a scanreg /restore will get her back up and running.

Be sure to let us know what happens.

9. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Making the boot disk and taking a road trip soon... Thanks again Bryan.

10. Chris A

Chris A Thread Starter

Format C: fixed it.. Thanks for the help....

Kids had it too far gone to fix...

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Oh well, at least they have a clean install now. Have a nice holiday and good to see you here again. If you get more time in the future, come around here more often. Your certainly missed ..... :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice