1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by computercare, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computercare

computercare Thread Starter

I am running WIN ME on an HP machine, and when I start the computer it starts to load then it freezes. I have also tried to open it in safe mode, but it won't open. I get a message that tell's me that there is a problem with the registry. I have also tried to use the restore disk, but nothing happens. How can I fix this? Will a disk scan fix it, if so, how do I get there with out ME loading?

Thanks for any help....

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi computercare:

Do you have a boot disk handy? If so, try a scanreg to restore a previous copy of the Windows Registry:

Start the computer by inserting the boot disk in the floppy drive.

- At the a:\> prompt, type <b>scanreg</b>.

- The Registry Restore Program will begin

- If all has gone well, the program will choose a good registry copy for you

- You will be told that Scanreg found an error in the registry, and has restored a new copy of the registry - reboot the computer

- If all has not gone well, you will be told that the operation failed. If that's the case, report back and we'll try another alternative!

Good luck! :)

3. computercare

computercare Thread Starter

Jody,
    Thanks so much for your help.

But how do I get the A:\ prompt ?

When I start the computer with the boot disk it takes me to the start up menu (normal, safe mode, etc.).

This is where I get the message saying that there is a problem with the registry and to use scanreg .

thanks again for all of your help...

4. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hmmmmm ....... are you certain you are using a Windows ME startup disk, and that your system is booting from the floppy drive?

When you boot with a ME startup disk, your first menu asks if you want to boot with CD-Rom support. Then it takes you to the A: prompt.

Your BIOS may not be set up to boot from the A: drive first. What model HP do you have?

Try entering BIOS and checking your "Boot Order" (which determines what drives the computer looks for to boot from). When you FIRST turn on the HP, look to see if the screen says what key to hit to enter BIOS or try hitting your F1, F2, DEL or ESC key. Once in BIOS, it is pretty easy to navigate around - you'll use your arrow keys in the menu. Just be sure to NOT change anything other than the boot order. :)

If you see that the boot order is set to boot from the A: first, then you may need to create a new ME boot disk. You can do so <a href="http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm">here</a>.

Let us know what you find out! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice