1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win NT 4.0 - Domain Error.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DaveCovenant, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveCovenant

DaveCovenant Thread Starter

I'm attempting to connect a Windows NT 4.0 machine with our Windows NT 4.0 server.
    Whenever I try to fill the domain field with the name of the domain, I receive the following error message:

"The domain controller for this domain cannot be located."

(Before and after adding the service pack.)
    I've attempted to search this error out through google, but have come up empty handed as far as reaching a solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-David Covenant

2. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

First off let me say that it has been a long time since I work with WinNT, but from what I remember correctly check to make sure that you are connected and have an IP address. I remember when my user gets those errors they tell me that they were not connected. Try that out and let me know what you got. Wish you the best.

3. DaveCovenant

If what you mean by connected is the physical RJ-45 connection, then that's a known good. If you mean whether or not I can ping the domain, I can't. The IP is assigned. (I'm using the same physical connection that normally runs to a Windows 98SE computer that's experiencing no problems, and the same IP address as well. <the other computer is not connected at this time of course.>) I understand that NT isn't a specialty for most, in my case especially so, but this particular piece of software will only run on NT. Therefore...I need it...Being my first time setting up a NT workstation to connect to an NT server I will appreciate any information you might remember.
    Thanks,
    David

4. littlemar

littlemar

Have you picked the protocol needed? For instance, TCP/IP and are you using a static IP. I have had to go through the entire process several times with some of our machines before it decides to go through.

I use NT at work but currently I'm at home which is not an NT machine. Once I get to work I can send you print screens of where you need to go to set this up.

5. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

Good call littlemar, that was what I was going to ask. If you Can NOT ping the server then there is an issue. can you ping anything. Is there an IP address. What about pinging the loopback.

6. littlemar

littlemar

Okay, here's a couple more things to check. Can you ping the card in the machine using 127.0.0.1?

Go to the Network in the Control Panel and after picking the protocol open properties. Your adapter should show there. This is also where you would pick either the DHCP or the IP address you want to use. make sure you have the Domain named in the ID section of the networking. At least this is something to start looking at. Good luck.:)

7. Jeckler

Jeckler

Try pinging the NT server by IP. If you can do that, you have a connection. Then, you'll need your domain's DNS server IP's, and WINS servers if used. Add these to TCP/IP properties in Network control panel. Make sure you're also using the correct subnet mask and gateway, since you're assigning a static IP. Once you reboot and login locally, try pinging the server by name. If this works, then you can get on the domain. Right click on Network Neighbohood, select properties. Click change on the Identification tab, change to domain, and put in the name. If the PC does not have an account, you'll need a username and password with the appropriate permission to do so. You should get a confirmation saying "Welcome to the XX domain". Click OK a couple times and you'll be prompted to reboot. Once that's done, enter a domain user ID and password, and change the domain (by default, the first time you see this it will have the local machine name in the domain field). You should be all set.
    Doesn't your operation have an IT staff that can help you?

8. DaveCovenant

I have been able to ping 127.0.0.1...
    I cannot ping the server or any other machine on the network.
    I cannot actually set a name for the domain under "Identification" due to the above error message that appears once I attempt to apply this name (referring to the domain controller).
    This is about the point that I am stuck. I thought I should also mention (embarrassed to have not)...when I attempt an IPCONFIG at a DOS Prompt I receive nothing in response. Does this mean anything?
    I am using a static IP (The same IP that I was using with a working computer on the network after disconnecting it.)

Thanks again,
    David

BTW, I am using TCP/IP...

9. Jeckler

Jeckler

So, you can't ping any machine even by their IP address?
    When you installed NT, did you let Windows provide the driver for your NIC, or did you use a floppy provided by the manufacturer? If the former, try the latter. :)
    Is DNS, subnet and gateway configured properly compared to other machines on the network?

When you try ipconfig from a command prompt, you don't get anything like this?

Windows NT IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter El90x1:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : XXX.124.131.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : XXX.124.130.1

10. Rockn

Rockn

Is the physical connection between your NIC and the hub/switch good? Have you tested your cabling from end to end?

11. DaveCovenant

Heh...Actually I am the IT guy...and I've set up every network here, but this is the first one where I needed to setup a NT Workstation (Particular customs software requires NT)...and everything seems to be going awry. The cable and jack are most definitely good, and no, I don't get anything when I run a IPCONFIG from the command prompt.
    I like the idea of finding a driver for my NIC other than the one that Windows installed for me. I will try that now.
    Thanks,
    David

12. Jeckler

Jeckler

Please don't take my comment about IT staff to seriously, it just seemed odd, that's all :)

My guess is at this point is that the NIC driver is wrong, or the NIC itself is broken. Definately try a new driver and let us know how you end up.
    It's strange that ipconfig doesn't bring up *any* info, wrong driver or not.

13. Rockn

Rockn

Another thought...check the domain controller and go into the admin tools > server manager and look for an instance of the workstation name you are attempting to add now. If there is one delete it and either add it to the domain again or go through the NTWS setup again and join the domain from there. You could also set it up as a workgroup PC prior to joining the domain to work out any driver or connectivity issues. You can set it up as a workgroup PC with the same IP scheme as the LAN and test it that way....you should be able to ping etc, just not access the resources on the other domain resources.

14. DaveCovenant

Jeckler,
    Thank you Captain Obvious...
    You have solved my problem...<G> It was the NIC driver that NT provided me...I went to the manufacturer of the motherboard and downloaded their driver, followed the installation instructions, and there you have it...I'm up and running.
    Again, thank you very much...and to all that have posted here in an attempt to help.

Warmest Regards,
    David

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!