1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Server 2003 Small Business question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by djangojazz, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djangojazz

djangojazz Thread Starter

I saw in the OS's that one wasn't included and this is a business question really. Two things:

1. My server is a win 2k3 smallbuz with 2 remote access ports in. I can not get it to display on a direct connect monitor yet the monitor is working fine and the server can be remoted into just fine. The monitor hooks up and just does the ole flashing green indicator. Does the entire server need a reboot to address this?

2. Going on with 1 I know there is a way to view who is actually "logged" in to your server I just can't remember where at the moment. If the server thinks a direct connection is still running that may be the entire problem.

The whole problem is that I do not have a monitor and other peripherals attached to the server permanently and don't wish to. But from time to time I may have to do backups or hardware changes in which case I will have to be directly in. So would a restart help possibly? I don't want to do this anytime soon but it would be useful info for the future. Thanks for any help.

2. gurutech

gurutech

1. Good news is that this isn't an issue with SBS itself. Try lowering the video resolution to 1024x768. Sounds like the monitor can't handle anything above that.

2. Bring up Task Manager (if you are remoted in, try CTRL-ALT-END, as the standard CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring you YOUR Task Manager). Click on the User's tab, and it will show you who is logged in, and from where, if remoted in.

3. djangojazz

1. It is set to the lowest already, it isn't a resolution issue.

2. Thanks! that's quicker than the way I remember and I didn't know that, nope just me remoting in.

Maybe I do need a restart because I would assume that if it can get a signal to blink the lights the VGA connection is not damaged. There is something else, hmmm. Well it won't be a problem I guess until I have to do a backup or make hardware changes but then it could be a big problem. Anyone have any ideas how to further troubleshoot it without restarting the server? Restarting a server I never like to do unless I have to at this point it's just an inconvenience not a horrible problem yet.

4. Rockn

Rockn

I am not sure what you mean by "two remote access ports". Do you mean KVM ports? If it is a KVM not all of them are compatible with all hardware and oyu do need to reboot the server on some KVMs if you connect them while the server is running...Avocent is a perfect example. Rebooting a server is not going to hurt it in the least, just do it at an off time when no or very few users are connected.

5. djangojazz

I interchange terminology I shouldn't sometimes. I didn't mean a port per say just an authoritative policy under Win 2k3 Small Biz that let's ONLY 2 admins logged in at one time to the server. It was probably incorrect to call it a port in that I am just remoting in through the network the same as I would do to any PC with remote access. Well since the mouse and keyboard aren't lighting up either that's most likely the cause and not the montior. Anyways IRQ 12 usually reserved for the connections with the mouse and keyboad if memory serves is not up anyways so I might have to do a reboot and have them already loaded for the POST to see them.

This whole thing was just a curiousity concern so I assume since the server hasn't had any problems yet and is basically INTEL everything working fine on tests I just need a reboot but one more thing if anyone knows. Could I possibly get a USB mouse and keyboard to access the server? That might be an option I can do on the fly in the future and I would assume it would work.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Well you have me totally confused as to what your problem is now. If you are RDPing into the server with Terminal service, from my experience, is that it will onlt allow one of any account to be logged in at one time. If one is logged in as admin and someone else logs in with the same account it will kick the first one out.

I have no idea what you mean in regards to the keyboard and mouse "lighting up"

7. gurutech

gurutech

Try running RDP in console mode (Start/Run, type in "MSTSC /CONSOLE" (no quotes). This will log you in as if you are sitting in front of the computer itself. See if you can get any video this way. If so, then it's probably a video card or monitor problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice