Win Server 2008 R2 with dyanmic IP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clutchguy

I have a home server that I'm using to host a site with a domain purchased from Go Daddy. I understand how to set up a static IP address on Win Server 2008, but my provider will not allow for me to purchase a static IP because I'm a home customer, not a business.
My question is this: should I just ipconfig my ip address every seven days and then change my server's address? Is there a software alternative? Is it necessary for me to change it at all?
Thanks!

I don't understand why you need to change your server's IP. As long as your are port forwarding 80 to the servers private IP then the only thing that changes every 7 days is your public IP. GoDaddy has a dynamic IP service you can purchase which will automatically update your DNS records when your public IP changes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online