1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Server 2008 study

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alchemist72, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alchemist72

alchemist72 Thread Starter

Hi all:

This is my first post here. Hope you can help me!

I have two laptops that I need to network with a switch and then run Windows Server 2008 Enterprise version on both for learning purposes. The laptop details are as follows:

Toshiba Satellite L20, XP Home edition SP2, Intel 1595 MHz processor, 1280 MB total physical memory, 856 MB available physical memory.

HP 520 Notebook PC, Vista Business, Intel Core Duo T2300 @ 1667 Mhz, 1014 MB total physical memory, 299 MB available physical memory.

I request your advise on the following:
    1. Are these specs adequate to run and test Win Server 2008? I do not need everything to be superfast but I should be able to install and run server 2008 on both systems.
    2. Would it be better if I used Virtual PC on both systems to run Server 2008?
    3. As an alternative, can I use ONE of these systems, Virtual PC, and then configure multiple systems (three) each running Server 2008? If my current specs are insufficient, what is required to run this particular setup? Also, will I be able to do routing between these three (virtual) machines without problems?

I hope my questions are clear and many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd forget about VPC or Virtual Server for that memory configuration. You can boot and run Server with those machines.

Virtualization requires lots of memory for each VM, so running three copies of server on one machine would require LOTS more memory, probably at least two gig for a minimum configuration, and more likely three or more.

3. alchemist72

Thanks a lot John. Do I uninstall Vista/XP before installing server 2008?

4. avisitor

avisitor

When you install Server 2k8, you'll be prompted with questions about how you want the HD configured. If you go with the defaults, it'll automatically delete XP/Vista. However, you can resize that partition to make room for 2k8.

5. alchemist72

Thanks avisitor!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice