1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win Update error #8000FFFF

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SiftW, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SiftW

SiftW Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a solution to this for ages to no avail.

One thread on these forums looked promising but then just ended with 'I restarted and it worked.'

Well, here's the deal. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit running on my PC and it is fully activated.

When I go into Windows Update and click 'Check for updates' it says 'Checking for updates' and roughly 5 seconds later it says 'Windows could not search for new updates' with error 8000FFFF.

I tried installing the WindowsUpdateAgent-x86.exe but it fails to install, giving the exact same error code (says 'Install failed with following error number: 0x8000ffff')!

Please help!!!
    Thanks in advance!

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. SiftW

SiftW Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply.

I only have 1GB of RAM installed.

4. rrlr420

rrlr420

Go to your control panel under add and remove programs you should see a hot fix for kb929777. Uninstall this hot fix. Windows will tell you to reboot, do it. Download the kb929777 from the windows website not the auto update site, (if you do it will install the hot fix first before the kb929777 and then kb929777 will not install again). After successful update you will need to reboot. check for updates( there should be none and your history should show successful update on the kb929777.

5. SiftW

SiftW Thread Starter

I don't see this hotfix in the Control Panel and trying to install the standalone one results in 'The update does not apply to your system.'

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/608457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice