1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP 2TB limitation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xynd, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I know that Win XP cannot rezognize size more than 2TB.
    My question is if for example I partition 4TB drive into 2 + 2 TB can Win XP recognize them then?

Thank you

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

at this point, i have to make a comment about using xp. why on earth would you not spend $40 on a license for windows 7 if you have a 4 tb hard drive? xp should not be used for any internet facing computer. not only is it unsafe for you to use, but it also endangers the rest of us. there are way too many ways criminals can exploit those computers and use them as bots, ddos attacks, etc.

back to the original question, in theory, it should work just like that. it should see all partitions of 2 tb or smaller as separate hard drives. i have no way to test that, but it should work.

3. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

I have not buy the drive yet as I want to make sure first that I can use it.
    As for win xp I thought it is antivirus job to prevent attack not windows?

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

no way. ditch the xp. seriously. ms stopped supporting it last year, meaning that all of the vulnerabilities they keep finding will never get fixed and anyone can exploit them. it is not good, even if you don't keep any personal info or credit cards or financial info on it, your computer will be compromised and taken over. it will be used as part of a bot net, or maybe a web server dealing in illegal things. then it is not just you, but all of us who are in trouble because you are using xp. i am not trying to single you out, lots of techs say that it is not that big of a deal. but it is, and it will only get worse. you may be able to mitigate the risk, but it is not worth it.

you can buy windows 7 for $45 to $80 depending on where you get it. or you can download linux for free. it is really not that hard to switch, and this is what i would recommend. you can go to linuxquestions.org for advice and help. try it out, there are many live versions you can try without installing first. save the money and make sure you are safe.

5. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

I am intrigued by your statement that because people still use xp you are also in trouble.
    That would means that although you not use xp you are still vulnerable right?

6. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

indirectly. and it isn't just xp computers by a longshot that are infected and used as bots and things. try linux, you'll like it, i would start with mint or ubuntu. debian is my choice.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Older computers that don't come with Windows 8 and have the older BIOS can recognize and use a maximum of 2 TB.

Newer computers that come with Windows 8 and have the newer UEFI can recognize and use larger capacity hard drives.

----------------------------------------------------------

8. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

My computer is old.
    So back to the main question : if the harddrive partitioned to 2T or less can they all be recognized?

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When you first asked the question, I did some searching. The answer - maybe not.
    Apparently 4TB drives use a different kind of partitioning.
    Your motherboard might be too old that even if you used Win 7 or newer to partition the 4TB drive into two 2TB partitions, the motherboard will not be able to use it.
    I'd probably say, get a 2TB drive or two and avoid the headache.

Nothing wrong with using the programs and games you like on XP just don't put it out on the internet. We have two computers running Windows 2000 and two computers running XP in the house. They do not go online.

10. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

I plan to partition it on the shop, so when I attached it to my computer it's already 2+2.
    Sure the simplest way is just buy 2T drive. It's just that I found that 4T drive is cheaper than two 2T drives.

11. SilverSurf

SilverSurf

Hello All

If folks want to use XP that's their choice. Others should not lecture them or put them down.

Regards SilverSurf

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Xynd, what motherboard do you have ?

13. valis

valis Moderator

Little rougher than I would have phrased it, but my feelings as well.

We have made our point regarding XP. Advice is always welcome, but lets focus on the oiginal problem.

What's the budget? May actually be able to get both birds here, IMO.

14. Xynd

Xynd Thread Starter

My mobo is Asus P5GC-MX

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS P5GC-MX

It's several years old and has support for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

The last BIOS update for it was in January 2009.

It supports the use of SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drives.

I browsed through its user manual and couldn't find anything about the maximum supported hard drive capacity for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice