1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP(3) not booting from hibernation or restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gcha, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gcha

gcha Thread Starter

When I hibernate the PC closes down but when I press the start button the PC starts but will not boot. Also if I use the restart button the PC closes down but will not reboot. In both cases if I close the PC manually and then restart it does not boot. If I then wait a good ten minutes and I press the start button it boots as normal

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 50775 MB;
    Motherboard: , MCT2/M1689, ,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

try disconnect power cable then plug it back in pc should start

3. gcha

gcha Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply - it's a bit inconvenient but it works

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

check power options in control panel set all devices to "never" save the settings, leave monitor to a time set when not in use for a time period
    also check power options in the bios. wake up etc..

5. gcha

gcha Thread Starter

Thanks for your response - my power options are currently set to switch off the monitor after 30 minutes the rest of the settings are set to never. I will check the bios - never gave that a thought - and let you know the result

6. gcha

gcha Thread Starter

I have checked the BIOS but cannot see anything untoward - there is no option for wake up. However, when closing the BIOS the PC does not boot and once again I have to power down and wait. It seems I will have to leave it on standby for the time being although some updates do need a restart. It is an old PC and probably badly in need of a BIOS update.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!