Win Xp Activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skybluez09

i am on a mac but recently used bootcamp to install win xp professional 2002. when i installed it i used my product key and it worked fine and everything ran smoothly. but when i went to activate windows it said i had used all of the uses of the product key. i remembered i had used it three times and understood that but now i am wondering do i have to reformat to use a new product key or just enter a new one where it tells me to enter it. also if i can like take a product key off another computer or do i have to buy it. if i do have to buy and reformat should i get home or professional
thank you
skyblue...

TerryNet

Terry
What do you mean about using it three times? On this same computer?

skybluez09

no i mean i used the copy of windows three times and im not allowed to use it again and it was on different computers

TerryNet

Terry
I know that various Windows license terms exist, but I am not familiar with many of them; in particular I don't know about yours. I'm reading you as saying that your license allows use on three computers and you've used those up. Does it allow you to call Microsoft and deactivate one of the computers, in effect transferring the Windows to another computer? If not, it sounds like you need to buy another copy.

IMO most home users do not need anything in XP Pro that Home lacks. But don't take my opinion; this article is old but still good.

valis

did you have a student or teacher license in order to install it thrice? Generally MS doesn't allow more than one install per disk, but they've been known to make exceptions.

valis

I'm only familiar with the student or teacher licensing that has multi-installs. Have you tried calling microsoft?

That's probably going to be your best bet at this point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online