1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win xp allow cookies

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by conlo, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I had problems with Windows I E, so I removed it. Now I need to allow cookies to access a certain site. My systerm info tells me that my browser is AOL 9.0. I see nowhere to go to allow cookies. Where do I access these settings??

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Control Panel | Internet Options, Privacy tab

And you didn't actually remove IE, you just removed the icon from the Start Menu and Desktop. It should still be on Start | All Programs, or you can start it by clicking Start | Run and typing iexplore in the box and press Enter.

EDIT: My bad, it does remove it from All Programs:eek:

HTH

Jerry

3. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I removed IE using the ADD/REMOVE in the control panel

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

And as the Description in the Add/Remove Programs | Windows Components Wizard for Internet Explorer says: Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer from the Start menu and Desktop

Same thing for Outlook Express, Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger

You'll also note that the size of these 4 items is 0.0 MB

Only thing Add/Remove does for those 4 items is add or remove the icons that start the programs, it doesn't remove any files or registry entries. They are all still fully installed and functional.

Anyone who tells you to try uninstalling and re-installing those programs to try and fix a problem with them is wasting your time.

It does remove the icon from All Programs -- I was wrong about that. Removes the icon from the Quick launch tool bar as well. You can start them from the Run box, or create a new shortcut.

If you've installed newer versions of Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player or Windows Messenger those newer versions can be uninstalled, leaving the original versions in their place.
    This can fix issues with the newer versions.

Jerry

5. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Ok, went to ALL PROGRAMS, found IE, opened it, selected TOOLS, found no option for INTERNET OPTIONS. The choices were MAP NETWORK DRIVE, DISCONNECT NETWORK DRIVE, SYNCHRONIZE, FOLDER OPTIONS. Searched FOLDER OPTIONS and found nothing.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Those options are on the Tools menu in Windows Explorer (default icon is a folder with a magnifying glass), not Internet Explorer (default icon is a blue e). If you used Add/Remove to remove Internet Explorer, the Internet Explorer icon wouldn't be in All Programs, but Windows Explorer will be there under Accessories.

You can find Internet Options in Control Panel.
    You can directly access Internet Options by clicking Start, then Run, then type inetcpl.cpl then click OK.
    Or start Internet Explorer by clicking Start, then Run, then type iexplore then click OK. The Internet Options can then be found on the Tools menu.

If you don't have the Run command on the Start menu, you can add it by right clicking the Start button, click Properties, click the Start Menu tab, then click whichever Customize... button is available.

• If you click the top Customize... button, click the Advanced tab, Run is 8th from the bottom.
    • If you click the bottom Customize... button, Run is 4th from the top
    Check the box in front of the Run command and it will be added to the Start menu.

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice