1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP and 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by guitarist968, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Once again I have a problem. I really need some help. This is a long issue, please read it.

Ok, I am doing some work for a friend on his computer. He has an extremely messed up system. Spyware is everywhere along with tons of other things not needed.

When his computer boots up, it has the choice of Windows XP or 2000. He always uses XP. The PC is very, very slow. There is a Celeron 1.1ghz processor, 128mb, 30gb hard drive. It should be going way faster than it is.

I tried to run Windows 2000 today. When I did, it came on and found all the hardware. It created drivers and a tutorial popped up. It acted as this was the first time it has ran 2000. So I looked in the Programs and files, and nothing from the XP is there. No software or anything. It was much faster and seemed like new.

So for some reason, he has 2 OS. What he wants to do is erase XP and all the files with it, and start fresh with the Win 2000 which is already there.

The only thing is that on the Win XP, he has Microsoft Office. He no longer has the disk (I dont know why) and it is the only thing he wants to keep.

My questions: How do I erase XP and everything with it and leave 2000? How can I keep Microsoft Office and reinstall it on 2000 without the disk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The computer has been running horribly for awhile, or at least since I first saw it. I am trying to clean up his PC and make it work properly.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You must have the disk and install the program in win2k. There are files that must be copied to the /system32 folder along with registry entries.

Getting rid of xp is not hard. You must edit the boot.ini file and remove the references to xp. After you have that done, you can delete the windows xp folder. Win2k should be installed in the winnt folder. Be careful what you are deleting.

3. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

Is there any way you can explain that a little easier? I don't get how to edit the boot.ini file and remove the references.

As far as keeping the Microsoft Office, there is no way to keep it? Even backing it up somehow to a disk?

Thanks for your time.

By the way...it is Windows XP Professional, not Home.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, you cannot “Keep” office without installing it in the os you are using. There must be registry entries and files copied to the winnt folder and /system32 folder.

The boot.ini file is a hidden file in the root of your system drive [usually C]; you must uncheck the hide protected os files in windows explorer to “See” the file. After you can see the file, right click on it and go to properties. Remove the “Read only” and hit apply. Now double click on the file and it should open in notepad. Here is what a boot.ini file should look like for a single boot system with the os on C. Note it would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the file [before you edit] and save it to removable media. This way if you mess it up, you can just copy your old file back and you are returned to the same state you were before you tried to edit the file.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If the os you are “Keeping” is not on C, then the default line must reflect what disk and partition you have win2k installed in. After you are finished editing the file, save it and go back and enable the “Hide protected os files”

P.S. the required registry entries / files are the reason you cannot use office from win2k.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice