1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP and Memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by djm1951, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djm1951

djm1951 Thread Starter

Good day to all. What is the minimum recommended memory to run XP? I have a new machine with 128 Meg. Is this enough or do I need more? Thanks

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

If you're running WinXP, 128 will work, but in all reality, you need 256 MB ram for XP to function correctly.

With XP, the more RAM the better!

Good Luck!

ST

3. KeithKman

KeithKman

Yes, 128 is pushing it. I would use 256mb at the least.

4. slipe

slipe

If you clean out your services and startup and don’t run RAM dependent programs or too many at once you can get by with 128Mb. A friend of mine who mostly uses the computer for web surfing and word processing gets along fine with 128Mb after I cleaned out his computer some.

Go through each item checked in your startup to see whether it needs to start when you boot and check your active services. If you still have slowdowns corresponding to pagefile hard drive writes then you would need more RAM.

Services: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
    Startup: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

At the price of RAM I isn’t worth it to not add some unless your computer use is limited. Even if you get more RAM, cleaning up your running services and startups will give you a better running computer.

5. mobo

mobo

Ram is cheap so get yourself at least another 256 stick if you want to use xp to its fullness.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    DJM1951:

Don't run Windows XP with anything less than 256 MB of RAM.

If you're going to run Windows XP with other memory-hungry apps, you'll do even better to have 512 MB.

Considering the memory requirements of so many apps nowadays, these are the recommended RAM amounts for the different operating systems:

Windows 98SE - 128 MB

Windows ME - 256 MB

Windows XP - 512 MB

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips
    (Also a Windows XP user)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice