1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP BIOS screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Slick Nick, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slick Nick

Slick Nick Thread Starter

Hello all. My computer is running Win XP SP1. I would like to speed up my boot time by reducing the length of time the initial BIOS screen is seen. My BIOS screen stays on for about 30 seconds or so. I would like to reduce it to about 10 seconds. That would still give me ample time to enter the BIOS setup screen by hitting F2 if need be. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

You can go into BIOS and look for a FastBoot option or similar and enable it . There may also be an Extended Memory Check option which you would want to disable to speed up POST . Within the confines of my limited knowledge once you've set those options you pretty much get what you're given as far as POST time goes .

3. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

also, have u thought about installing SP3 or even 2 for the security updates? microsoft also has bootvis that u can try.

4. Slick Nick

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I had already gone into the BIOS and made sure that the QuickBoot mode was enabled. So that wasn't the problem. As for installing SP2 or SP3, I had tried both previously. They both screwed up my system real bad. Luckily, I back up my drives with Acronis TrueImage. So I was able to quickly recover from the SPs. I decided that I didn't want go through that again and stayed with SP1. I get the needed security updates from the MS website. I also used BootVis a while back and it didn't really do much.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Please post some system specs

6. Slick Nick

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I'm running. Win XP SP1 with a 2 Ghz Celeron processor and 1 GB of RAM. I have a bit over 300 GB of drive space on 3 drives. I am also on a network using a Linksys wireless router. If you need more info, let me know.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!