1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP Blue Screen of Death...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stu-Pid, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu-Pid

Stu-Pid Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having some real problems with my Win XP home PC. It's a bit of a long story, so get comfortable...

Okay, well firstly my current set-up is as follows:

Win XP Pro (SP1)
    1GB RAM
    2 160GB SATA hard drives
    DVD RW
    CD RW

It's been running fine with no problems for about a year now. Then, completely out of the blue last week it went to blue screen straight after start up with the error message:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

After reading up on this a bit I found that it might be due to newly installed software or hardware, but I hadn't added anything new in over a month. But just to be sure I booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled every non essential piece of software and hardware.

When I rebooted all seemed fine, but about 10 minutes later the blue screen appeared again, although now it seemed to change every time it came up and included:

BAD_POOL_CALLER
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Plus a couple of others that I can't recall. Now at this point I pretty much guessed that something pretty terminal was going on and that a re-install of Windows was the best way to go. So I copied all of my essential files from the C: Drive (iTunes music etc) and then booted up the Win XP disc.

I followed the installation instructions to the letter: installing my SATA drivers, choosing the C: Drive, re-formatting it and then finally starting the set-up process. However, when it started to copy the Windows files from the CD to the had drive, it kept coming up with the 'Files cannot be copied' error message.

Now my first suspicion was that my (rather old) Windows XP disc was too dusty or damaged, so I borrowed my mates disc and started again, only to have exactly the same problem (although with different files not being copied). So I then switched my boot drive to the 2nd CD drive and tried again, but again with similar results - random files not being copied. Even more strangely, if I chose not to copy any of the files that couldn't be read, rather than getting an error message at 100% I would get a blue screen message just like I did before. Is that normal?

I know that the CD from my friend works fine as he did an installation only a few weeks ago, and I know that my CD drives are in good working order, so what do I do now?

As I see it my only option is to completely wipe both of the hard disks and try again, but I really don't want to do this as it would mean losing my collection of every episode of Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Mighty Boosh and many others!

Could it be anything else? A BIOS issue maybe?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Stu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice