1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win XP boot disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DKTaber, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I've had my first Win XP computer a little over a year. It has no floppy drive. My experiences with previous versions of Windows is that they always wanted you to make an emergency boot disk (on a floppy) in case the HD went south or wouldn't boot the system. One of the files on those boot disks was the .com file that allowed the system to recognize and use the CD or DVD drives so you could put your Windows install disk in it and reinstall Windows.

I can find no reference in Win XP help about creating a CD/DVD boot disk so that, in the event of a HD failure, I could reformat the HD (assuming it was still working) and reinstall Win XP from my DVD/CD RW drive. Is that because in newer machines, recognition of optical drives is built into the BIOS? If not, I'm living dangerously because if my HD fails, I have no way to reinstall the OS. So how could I reinstall XP if this happened?

2. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

If order to boot to a CD three things must be present:

1. BIOS must be El torito aware
    2. CD-ROM must be El torito compatible
    3. Disc itself must be setup properly to meet El torito standards

Most CD-ROMs drives and bios are able to boot to CDROM discs. If you have Windows XP it is bootable CD and allows formatting and creating and deleting partitions using diskpart.

Also you can create floppy disk image and you can use a CD to boot to the image. So in short it is not really is not necessary to have a floppy drive.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I haven't the foggiest what "El Torito" is. Are you saying that the Win XP/SP2 disk that came with the computer would be read by the system IF the HD was not working?

4. awalker0878

Yes it could be read by the computer even your HD was not working. Also if you are interested there are tools that far surpass the old dos days. BartPE is a good example and it allows to format your hardrive access your network and troubleshoot your computer in a 32bit GUI enviroment.

5. awalker0878

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice